cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #41
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Would you consider suicide bombers as a mental health issue. Would you consider the people at Jonestown, Waco and the folks that were going to meet a Spaceship as religious people.

On the other side I wouldn't consider Ted Bundy, Hitler and Stalin as religious people. It is a good question though as far as tendencies go.
My thoughts on the subject is that those who have mental illness are more likely to look for relief and may find it in the form of religion. Also, I anticipate that some types of mental illness, minor depression as an example, can be combatted through religious experience. Thus, a man a woman brought to religion because of minor depression could have children who are more severely depressed. Any group that might share traits and considers it inappropriate to marry outside the group is at risk for magnifying those traits.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #42
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
I'm also painting with a very big brush, and speaking in generalities. These are the general norms and expectations (often unspoken) that I have come to accept in the church. I know that men, in general, are expected to play a more nurturing role than we have played in the past, but I would take some real work to convince me that the dominant roles of men and women in the church are still not defined along traditional provider/nurturer lines.
I don't disagree with that. How old are your children? I'm finding that as mine progress into their teenage years, my "nurtuting" role increases significantly, especially with my daughters.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #43
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
"MEGA DITTOS!!!"

Seattle Ute
SHIT!!! I take it all back. I don't want to be associated with SU.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #44
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Mormon couple

Kids come early and often. Mom feels over whelmed and starts taking medication. Meds destroy her sex drive so Dad starts feeling depressed and left out. Neither are brave enough to confront the problem since everyone in the ward seems to handle it okay. Both aren't happy since they expected so much more out of marriage.

Non-LDS couple

Kids also come but not so early or often. Dad loads up on his beer and Mom loads up on her wine (pantie remover) every weekend. This works for them for about 10 years. Mom starts drinking everyday in the morning to take the edge off and turns into a drunk. Dad gets tired of her and has an affair with a co-worker. Both are alright with this since this is what they expected.

We need to lower our expectations.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #45
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A pre-teen son and a pre-teen daughter. My roller coaster is just about to crest before it hits the loops and spins of parenting teenagers. I'm white-knuckled.
Good luck, lol, batton down the hatches, I pitty you, etc.

Actually looking back on it, peers are critical. Parents are important, church is important, but during the teenage years peers are going to make or break them. IMHO
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #46
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A pre-teen son and a pre-teen daughter. My roller coaster is just about to crest before it hits the loops and spins of parenting teenagers. I'm white-knuckled.

You have no idea, my friend.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #47
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm convinced that with early teenagers they grow so fast that the brain actually disconnects from the body for a few years. At about 17 or 18 the connection hooks up again.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #48
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I'm convinced that with early teenagers they grow so fast that the brain actually disconnects from the body for a few years. At about 17 or 18 the connection hooks up again.
for boys the brain just moves to their groin
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #49
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Let's get rid of religion and

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Are there any studies correlating religious populations with mental illness? I would expect there to be higher rates of mental illness in all religious populations.
all the mental illness goes away as well. LOL
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #50
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

"Work[ing] out your salvation with fear and trembling" is obviously a reference to severe paranoid schizophrenics with early onset of Parkinson's.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote