cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
disagree and there is the reason why :

plenty faithful kids!
My wife's addicted to crappy reality TV and watches the reality show with this family on occasion. I was extremely critical and skeptical about the family but after watching a little of the show, I have to admit the kids seem remarkably well adjusted and the parents have managed their house and parental duties in a way that would impress a Fortune 500 company.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
disagree and there is the reason why :

plenty faithful kids!
Hey. Is that a built-in soda fountain I see in the back of the room?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Where did this photo come from? Is it something advertised in Utah or Idaho?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #44
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where did this photo come from? Is it something advertised in Utah or Idaho?
They are the Duggar family. They live in Arkansas. They allegedly have no debt and built their 7,000 s.f. house themselves--dad and oldest sons--using a steel building kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Duggar
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #45
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I noticed that too...how cool is that???

I mean, there are other ways to convince your wife you need a soda fountain...but still, not bad.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #46
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
They are the Duggar family. They live in Arkansas. They allegedly have no debt and built their 7,000 s.f. house themselves--dad and oldest sons--using a steel building kit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Duggar
Duggar is part of the quiverfull movement. Interesting.

Quiverfull

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (quick, easy, and better than nothing, babs)

Quiverfull is a movement among conservative evangelical Protestant Christian couples chiefly in the United States, but with some adherents in Canada,[1] and with claims of adherents also in Australia, New Zealand, England, and elsewhere.[2] Its distinguishing viewpoint is to eagerly receive children as blessings from God,[2][3][4][5] eschewing all forms of contraception, including natural family planning and sterilization.[6][7] Someone of this persuasion might call themselves a "quiver full", "full quiver", "quiverfull-minded", or simply "QF" Christian. Roman Catholics and some others might refer to the Quiverfull position as Providentialism,[8] while the popular press has recently referred to the movement as a manifestation of natalism.[9][10] The movement and its corpus of literature have grown steadily since its inception. Its adherents most likely number in the "thousands to low tens of thousands".[6] It began to receive significant attention in the U.S. national press in 2004.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #47
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Could someone please give her a better hairstyle? Maybe Oprah can have her on and do a little makeover or something.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #48
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I used to do the big bangs too (back in the 80s) and I'd have to get up a half hour early to get it done. Listen lady, you've got 17 kids. You don't have time to be teasing and spraying your hair for a half hour every day.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What???

I have cousins, the Day family formerly of Grandview Hill who had 6 boys in a row: Boy #1 (drown young before I was born, I don't remember his name), Michael, Steven, Brian, Douglas, Jonathon.

So what are the odds that Jonathon is gay? If the national average for being gay is 5% then boy number 6 would have a 20% chance of being gay (5% + 33% 5 times)?

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's how fraternal birth order works. Obviously, there are plenty of examples where oldest sons or only children are gay, so fraternal birth order is just one of many factors. But I think most scientists believe that environmental contributors to homosexuality are mostly in utero.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #50
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
But why do you say that large family size could not increase the likelihood of a lower IQ? Surely there are a lot of variables involved, but it's very hard to prove that large family size does not affect IQ, especially when the data suggest that it does contribute.
I guess I'm going on the assumption that IQ is primarily genetic. Perhaps that is not completely true.

The reason I said what I did is that a future event cannot cause a past fact. Child number one is born and on that day his intelligent quotient is X. On that day we have no idea how many siblings he will have and this can't have effect on his genetic makeup anyway.

Now, if you tell me that IQ is predominantly environmental (or even that this is a large factor) and you tell me that there are biological disadvantages in utero to having had many others there before you, then my thinking would change. If either of both of those things are true, then it should also be true the the first child, on average, has the highest IQ with each subsequent sibling having a lower and lower average IQ. Do you know whether this is the case?

Last edited by UtahDan; 10-29-2007 at 07:59 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote