cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom told me that I could do anything I set my mind to.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #42
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
But they are all Utes.
As are my parents unfortunately.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #43
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My mom told me that I could do anything I set my mind to.
My Mom told me that girls were like poo and if you touch them you will get poo on your hands.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-02-2007 at 11:34 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
There's just nothing for me at home anymore. My older sister, older brother, and now my younger sister will all be doing things with their spouses, and/or in another state with in-laws, so that leaves me at home with my little brothers...
I don't blame you. One of the most pathetic Christmases I ever spent was by myself at my parent's house. My brothers were off with their in-laws and I was home from BYU. My mom really doesn't get into Christmas at all. She took the Christmas tree and all the decorations down Christmas morning, minutes after the last present was opened. She also hates to cook and since nobody was coming for Christmas she didn't. I was bored out of my mind, so I went to Blockbuster and rented about 5 movies which I watched by myself. My Christmas dinner? A bowl of cereal.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #45
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I don't blame you. One of the most pathetic Christmases I ever spent was by myself at my parent's house. My brothers were off with their in-laws and I was home from BYU. My mom really doesn't get into Christmas at all. She took the Christmas tree and all the decorations down Christmas morning, minutes after the last present was opened. She also hates to cook and since nobody was coming for Christmas she didn't. I was bored out of my mind, so I went to Blockbuster and rented about 5 movies which I watched by myself. My Christmas dinner? A bowl of cereal.
My family doesn't many established Christmas traditions unique to our family, honestly. Well, other than my father traditionally being a miser about letting any of us open Christmas presents before Christmas day itself. My younger siblings are practically writhing on the floor begging on Christmas Eve, "Please please PUUUUUUZLEEEEEEZE, Dad? Just one present? Just one? I'll open the littlest one I have... Please, pretty pretty please?"

Oh, and someone gets gypped every year and ends up getting a wad of cash handed to them afterwards. The last year I got gypped was my senior year of high school when we had a German exchange student. My mom went crazy buying presents for her because she wanted to make sure she was happy for her first American Christmas away from her parents. My stack of presents was about a third as high as hers. I think Mom felt pretty guilty, seeing as I already had to share my senior year of high school and family with a gangly German girl who called potatoes and carrots "wegtables." If I remember correctly, $100 metamorphosed into my stocking afterwards.

We always have some obscenely huge dinner sometime midday that my mother frets over from the time presents are over until cleanup. My dad never helps (though not surprising as he never helps with cooking at all... I once called him to ask him to preheat the oven for a Papa Murphey's pizza we were bringing home... he didn't know how to... that man's a doctor, and he can't start an oven...), and being the oldest child, I turn into the kitchen drudge. My husband needs to learn my dad's secret, because I'd never let him off the hook like that. Maybe Dad's so bad at cooking that not helping out is his contribution (like how Funk stays home from choir practice..) That must be it-I think my mom just gave up after sending Dad to the grocery store for parsnips and he came back with parsley.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #46
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Got you beat with the third oldest sad story BDB ... My oldest brother is a Dr., next oldest a lawyer, younger sister a nurse and a credit away from a masters in poly sci and youngest brother is in hospital admin.

I'm an artist and I live in Canada
Not to mention your youngest brother is dead sexy

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 11-03-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #47
Mrs. Funk

Well, to follow up on the Funk family drama, we were able to get some moderately reasonable tickets to fly up Christmas Eve and in exchange we're flying out super early New Year's Day so we could take advantage of the internet special. Funk's dad's birthday is the 23rd, and we made it very clear that we were staying in town for that and that we were not coming up any earlier than the 24th.

We're trying to be reasonable while still affirming that we are adults in an adult relationship who sometimes have to make decisions they don't like.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Well, to follow up on the Funk family drama, we were able to get some moderately reasonable tickets to fly up Christmas Eve and in exchange we're flying out super early New Year's Day so we could take advantage of the internet special. Funk's dad's birthday is the 23rd, and we made it very clear that we were staying in town for that and that we were not coming up any earlier than the 24th.

We're trying to be reasonable while still affirming that we are adults in an adult relationship who sometimes have to make decisions they don't like.
Sister Funk, I still say my Christmas card would have been the best solution. Succinctness is always the best way to communicate your thoughts, especially in familial relations.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #49
Mrs. Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Sister Funk, I still say my Christmas card would have been the best solution. Succinctness is always the best way to communicate your thoughts, especially in familial relations.
Maybe I should send one anyway as a preemptive strike.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
Maybe I should send one anyway as a preemptive strike.
Great idea.

It would actually be best if you wrote one yourself, but I'll get you started:

Dear _________,

If given the choice, I'd rather punch you in the face than communicate with you....

You can take it from there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote