cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #41
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That was an amusing read. My favorite were these lines:

Nothing like engaging in wild, rampant hyperbole to completely discredit your entire article.
You have no good answers to his points so you play this stupid game of finding one thing and saying it descredits everything. What a joke.

I can play this game too. From Barnes:

Second, enhanced interrogation of terrorists. Along with use of secret prisons and wireless eavesdropping, this saved American lives. How many thousands of lives? We'll never know.

Huh? This is illogical on its face. It saved lives? How many thousands we'll never know? Duh, WE DON'T KNOW. He says it himself. Why not say millions or billions instead? Nothing like a ridiculous statement to discredit the entire article.

You're sure a piece of work, Tex. One thing I do know is that your big government statist philosophy is totally opposed to mine, but that's ok. Enjoy Obama because your brand of neoconservative statist republicanism is dead.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I can play this game too. From Barnes:

Second, enhanced interrogation of terrorists. Along with use of secret prisons and wireless eavesdropping, this saved American lives. How many thousands of lives? We'll never know.

Huh? This is illogical on its face. It saved lives? How many thousands we'll never know? Duh, WE DON'T KNOW. He says it himself. Why not say millions or billions instead? Nothing like a ridiculous statement to discredit the entire article. You're sure a piece of work, Tex. One thing I do know is that your big government statist philosophy is totally opposed to mine, but that's ok. Enjoy Obama because your brand of neoconservative statist republicanism is dead.
No you're actually playing a different game. Barnes is not engaging in hyperbole like your ridiculous Mr. Davis. If he'd actually said "billions" then that would've been hyperbole.

I read Davis' remarks on that point, and he's just being petty, as are you. It's true, we don't actually know, but thousands is a reasonable estimate based on what we DO know. We know terrorist attacks have been stopped, and that lives have been saved as a result. Quibble over the exact number if you wish, but it betrays small-minded thinking.

To return to Davis' hyperbole: I don't think any clear-thinking individual on the right or left can credibly claim Barnes is not a conservative, or that he is an enemy to the Constitution or of freedom. That's meaningless rhetorical nonsense, and illustrates the tin-foil-hat that he wears.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #43
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Here's a little more fun hyperbole from that ridiculous article:

Quote:
I'm an American who lived during the Bush administration and I can truly say my life has been negatively impacted as a result of his policies. Not only am I facing the responsibility to pay for trillions and trillions of dollars spent during his administration, the civil liberties that protected me from government surveillance and abuse have been undermined or altogether destroyed.
Really? Davis is not only now personally responsible for paying "trillions and trillons" of dollars, but his civil liberties have been destroyed. I'd like to ask him for specifics: have you been personally wiretapped, Mr. Davis?

I'm okay with someone being upset at the debt, or at (supposed) loss of civil liberties, on principle. But to claim that you are personally negatively impacted requires more specific examples than that.

For example, I oppose legalizing gay marriage. But I can't claim that I will personally be negatively impacted if it happens. Never have. I simply oppose it on principle.

My advice to Davis: take a breath and calm down.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote