cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The approach is appreciated even if I disagree with conclusions.

Repentance for sinners includes recognition, recompense, abandonment of sin, remorse and following the commandments. However, if you glean a perfectionist angle from that aspect, then I believe you misunderstand our beliefs.

Seeking to eliminate error is far from being perfect, but it is a step toward personal improvement and preparing to worship God. Elimination of sin simply purifies the soul to be a better receptor of the Spirit.

Perfection requires commissions and omissions, plus active participation in the atonement.

I would not use sales at Deseret Book as indicative of anything. Do you use the sales on the NYTimes bestseller list as indicative of anything? I do not.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #42
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can't accept both Believing Christ and MoF as LDS doctrine. They're diametrically opposed at times.
Agreed.

Quote:
You also can't say that a reference quoted in general conference or in current teaching material is an endorsement of the entire book.
Sure, but I'm not dealing with the whole book. I'm dealing with part of its core, central message: the very prerequisites of repentance which lead to forgiveness. At the very least, Mormon leaders haven't been alarmed by the book's message to the degree of qualifying their accolades. And regarding the Gospel Principles quotation, what is quoted is itself of concern regarding the definition of repentance and the non-permanence of forgiveness.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #43
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Agreed.

Sure, but I'm not dealing with the whole book. I'm dealing with part of its core, central message: the very prerequisites of repentance which lead to forgiveness. At the very least, Mormon leaders haven't been alarmed by the book's message to the degree of qualifying their accolades. And regarding the Gospel Principles quotation, what is quoted is itself of concern regarding the definition of repentance and the non-permanence of forgiveness.
No statement on the definition of repentance and the permanence of forgiveness is more authoritative or clear than D&C 58:42-43. This is the statement that most clearly represents our doctrine-- anything said by anybody else is to be compared or contrasted with these verses as the measuring stick.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #44
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For example, even though some may view this as heresy, I'm not a big fan of the Miracle of Forgiveness, as it seems very punitive, dark and brooding and is counter to what many mental health professionals would counsel their clientele. It's very adolescent in its approach, and not very useful to members at large.
My bishop told me I had to read it before he would green-light me for my mission. I actually never read it, though I told him I had.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote