cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #41
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Is it possible intrade is not leading but following? Intrade seemed to take a long time to react to the Rasmussen poll the other day showing Romney five over McCain, and also didn't seem to react to Thompson announcement. Maybe due to low trading volumes, intrade is not as efficient as we think?
Good question Jay. But I don't see why it would put Romney is such a good position this morning given that the most recent polls had favored McCain. New polls have come in showing it pretty much a dead heat.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imary-260.html

Once that 1/20 Survey USA poll falls off, Romney will take the RCP Average lead. His trends are better than McCain's.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #42
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Intrade is best described as "prevailing conventional wisdom". Which of course doesn't always match reality.
MW in some sense that's true. By reality, I think you mean ex post outcomes or you might mean the true ex ante probabilities based on the correct assessment of all information relevant for determining who will win the election. In either case, there is not much to disagree with. However, intrade, by far, is going to be your best predictor unless you have a serious private information advantage (and then you should trading off of it which would make the prices more efficient.) It is going to be the best ex ante signal. Jay, is certainly correct that the market doesn't have great "depth" and that certainly limits the efficiency of the market. However, there is empirical evidence from the 2004 presidential election that it responds quickly to new information and gives a better assessment of the importance of new information than other sources.

Last edited by pelagius; 01-24-2008 at 05:56 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #43
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Is it possible intrade is not leading but following? Intrade seemed to take a long time to react to the Rasmussen poll the other day showing Romney five over McCain, and also didn't seem to react to Thompson announcement. Maybe due to low trading volumes, intrade is not as efficient as we think?
I looked at the Intrade site and it appears that it follows polling almost simultaneously. Romney's trend started upward with the polls earlier this week, and continued upward. At the same time, McCain has come back to even with (as the polls) and even dipping below Romney. It's at 52-40 asking (47-39 bidding) right now. I doubt this is all just wishful thinking.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's as I thought. He said the same thing (roughly) that Santorum said, and it's being misunderstood.

He did not "equate" those different types of sexual deviancy. He said if we recognize one, we have to recognize them all. Or in other words, that the argument made for one to be legitimized is the same as the argument made for another.

That's different than saying the acts themselves are the same thing.
But the arguments made for gay marriage are not remotely similar to the arguments that would be necessary to advocate "man on dog." That's the point.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #45
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
But the arguments made for gay marriage are not remotely similar to the arguments that would be necessary to advocate "man on dog." That's the point.
Sure they are, loosely speaking. There is no way in my mind that we could legitmize homosexual marriage and still hold the dike for polygamy. Ditto prostitution. Beastiality is a longer stretch, but it still falls under that same heading: "as long as I'm not hurting anyone, let me love and have sex the way I want."

That's not to say beastiality = homosexuality anymore than polygamy = homosexuality.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #46
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
MW in some sense that's true. By reality, I think you mean ex post outcomes or you might mean the true ex ante probabilities based on the correct assessment of all information relevant for determining who will win the election. In either case, there is not much to disagree with. However, intrade, by far, is going to be your best predictor unless you have a serious private information advantage (and then you should trading off of it which would make the prices more efficient.) It is going to be the best ex ante signal. Jay, is certainly correct that the market doesn't have great "depth" and that certainly limits the efficiency of the market. However, there is empirical evidence from the 2004 presidential election that it responds quickly to new information and gives a better assessment of the importance of new information than other sources.
I trust you but by my observation it just seems a little sluggish to react. For example, Florida is finally turning Romney's way today, but in the overall race, nothing's changed with McCain almost double Romney's chances. And the California race which has some trading volume also, hasn't reacted. Certainly a Florida loss for McCain would affect his overall chances.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #47
woot

Quote:
Sure they are, loosely speaking. There is no way in my mind that we could legitmize homosexual marriage and still hold the dike for polygamy. Ditto prostitution. Beastiality is a longer stretch, but it still falls under that same heading: "as long as I'm not hurting anyone, let me love and have sex the way I want."

That's not to say beastiality = homosexuality anymore than polygamy = homosexuality.
Marriage should be between two consenting adults. That's all anyone is arguing. Good luck trying to argue that such a definition would allow man on dog or man on 3 women. Not sure what prostitution has to do with any of this.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Aha... Your basic religious right fear-mongering.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #49
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Marriage should be between two consenting adults. That's all anyone is arguing. Good luck trying to argue that such a definition would allow man on dog or man on 3 women. Not sure what prostitution has to do with any of this.
(Playing Devil's Advocate here) How come we can expand the definition to 2 consenting adults, and not 3?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #50
woot

Quote:
(Playing Devil's Advocate here) How come we can expand the definition to 2 consenting adults, and not 3?
Marriage is a cultural creation. If the masses want to expand it to 3, they will. I don't see it happening. Most of the enlightened populace has realized that discriminating against those who want to marry an individual of the same sex should be able to. Those who don't want them to be able to have yet to provide any intelligent argument. They appeal to tradition, or they appeal to nonsense like yours where once you change something once, the floodgates are open and it's bound to be changed repeatedly and before long all the liberals will be marrying their turtles. This is not sound logic.