cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #41
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Therefore, I have to assume that they keep returning because there's something about this place that they really like.
Confrontation
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #42
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It's not just you, it's anyone who feels the need to insert the "sounds like everyone (but me) on cougarguard" qualifier when they post. It's nothing personal, just something that bugs me. I figure most folks who've spent more than a day perusing this site know what they're in for when they read it. Therefore, I have to assume that they keep returning because there's something about this place that they really like.
Fair enough. Personally, I like it for a number of reasons, chief among them that it's free and I can still access it at work.

I also enjoy most of the conversations, but it does bug me when the pseudo-intellectuals post the 'this is the way it is' posts. At least when I disagree with them

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #43
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I also enjoy most of the conversations, but it does bug me when the pseudo-intellectuals post the 'this is the way it is' posts.
Do you have specific examples in mind?

The only "this is the way it is" posts I can think of come from guys like Tex, Lingo and exUte. But I don't consider them "pseudo-intellectuals".

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #44
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Do you have specific examples in mind?

The only "this is the way it is" posts I can think of come from guys like Tex, Lingo and exUte. But I don't consider them "pseudo-intellectuals".
Not off-hand, and I may have been misinterpreting the tone of the posts (which is easy to do when conversing over the 'net). I guess Rocky irritated me with his "Ashworth will not redshirt" thread, but I realize that Rocky is pretty much an asshole (that's meant with the utmost respect, Rocky) in the best of times, so I didn't take it too personally...

Adam annoys me as well, but again, he's generally known as a dick anyway, so again, I don't take it personally.

Keep in mind, anyone who reads this, that I consider myself to be an ass as well, so these statements are definitely not intended to be incendiary.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #45
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Not off-hand, and I may have been misinterpreting the tone of the posts (which is easy to do when conversing over the 'net). I guess Rocky irritated me with his "Ashworth will not redshirt" thread, but I realize that Rocky is pretty much an asshole (that's meant with the utmost respect, Rocky) in the best of times, so I didn't take it too personally...

Adam annoys me as well, but again, he's generally known as a dick anyway, so again, I don't take it personally.

Keep in mind, anyone who reads this, that I consider myself to be an ass as well, so these statements are definitely not intended to be incendiary.
Did you just call Rocky a "pseudo intellectual"?

I tend to trust him on matters dealing with the BYU football team - he has a good track record. If he says "this is the way it is" with regard to the team, I tend to trust him on that.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #46
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Did you just call Rocky a "pseudo intellectual"?

I tend to trust him on matters dealing with the BYU football team - he has a good track record. If he says "this is the way it is" with regard to the team, I tend to trust him on that.
LOL. You could make that connection, couldn't you? No, I don't think Rocky's ever made himself out to be more than what he is.

I'll believe you on his track record - you likely have more experience with it than I. Still, his assuredness seemed, to me, a bit over-the-top. For the record, I believe I agreed with him, while leaving the door open for the possibility of a red-shirt, and he called me a dick for not bowing to his statements...

Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #47
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Interesting. Do you spew this rhetoric to your children as well? Or do you live a double life?
Ex, what do you make of 1 Peter 3:21:

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Isn't this essentially what ordinances are? The action in and of itself is not what saves us. It's what God does, and the ordinance is as Peter says to show God we are obedient and will keep the covenant.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #48
SoCalCoug

Quote:
For the record, I believe I agreed with him, while leaving the door open for the possibility of a red-shirt, and he called me a dick for not bowing to his statements...
Being called a dick by Rocky is a badge of honor.

Seriously, I've had issues with Rocky in the past, but I respect him for speaking his mind, and also being able to take it right back from someone.