cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
Sounds like you told him off. I think that's fine.

Writing letters to the prophet doesn't work, from what I hear. They just kick the letters back to the stake pres, who will promptly kick the author's butt.

I guess the issue is that LDS women feel helpless, so even if they want to speak up, they don't feel like they can. Mormon feminists need to organize better and demand meetings with Church hierarchy (i.e. apostles). Are they already doing this? I don't think so.
I don't know why women ban together and ask for the Priesthood. If they don't think we have a Prophet, then why belong anyway. Is it they yearn for the culture?

Join an episcopalian church. If the number of women start dropping and they are joining other churches that will have a far bigger impact than crying and moaning.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of traveling speakers who are women. I could start that out as a SP and boy would that get the tongues wagging.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I like the idea of traveling speakers who are women. I could start that out as a SP and boy would that get the tongues wagging.
That could work in a State like Mass. A lot of things could work in a State like Mass. that wouldn't work in Texas and Utah. It might eventually work in Utah if it was being done in Mass. for several years.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #44
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you are ignorant.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7943560

However 2008 is different than 1993. I fear that Mitt would be considered a rogue stake president in today's time, and would be asked to see that heads roll in his stake.
In our area returned Sister Missionaries tour with the HC as well as returned Elders. We have women as the closing speaker regularly. In many sacrament meetings we have had only women speakers. There is no gender requirement for prayers.

Some things do change.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do we really need speakers?

Couldn't we just take the sacrament, close the meeting and move to other activities?

Or perhaps we could simply have a celebration of music thereafter?

Speakers are very poor nowadays.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #46
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like the idea of traveling speakers who are women.
I like to think of myself as pretty progressive so I would have no problem with that, as long as they were smoking hot.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #47
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do we really need speakers?

Couldn't we just take the sacrament, close the meeting and move to other activities?

Or perhaps we could simply have a celebration of music thereafter?

Speakers are very poor nowadays.
The last Bishop of my ward decided that hymns are an important part of worship. About 4 times a year, the entire Sacrament Meeting would be dedicated to playing and singing favorite hymns of the ward members. I rather enjoyed those Sundays.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #48
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't know why women ban together and ask for the Priesthood. If they don't think we have a Prophet, then why belong anyway. Is it they yearn for the culture?

Join an episcopalian church. If the number of women start dropping and they are joining other churches that will have a far bigger impact than crying and moaning.
If they don't believe in the prophet and they want the priesthood, just check out Pastor Tanner here in SLC. She would welcome more women pastors.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #49
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I think the main reason feminism is antithetical to church culture--and some doctrine--is that the heart of feminism (definitions of it aside) is choice. That women can choose their own paths, their own goals, their own views on how to frame those goals. In many ways, the path for LDS women has already been set. Women who know follow this path as far as possible. Yes, we understand when that's not possible for the outliers, but we expect a certain course nevertheless. An ideal. A concept that women ought to marry, have babies, and rear them as their role. Feminists in general think this is a fine path, but the problem is when there's only one "best." See, no choice?

Archaea, I wasn't talking about Hillary Clinton, although that's an example, I suppose. I admit to being hypersensitive on this subject, but the misogyny is much more pervasive than that here. I've been quite surprised by it, actually.

Mudphud. I don't know anything about this diaper-centric Mormon feminist group you are talking about, but I don't know why you would suppose that translates to all Mormon "feminists." Is it just because of their title?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there are some here that deeply despise women. It's not hard to see.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote