cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Name the most compelling argument to elect Obama. Just one. Name it. First one that comes to your mind.
He's an Ivy Leaguer. Hey, I'm just being honest.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #42
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
So was George Bush.

And by that matter, Mitt Romney. So you endorse Romney as the presumptive nominee for VP? Glad to hear you're on board.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #43
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Name the most compelling argument to elect Obama. Just one. Name it. First one that comes to your mind.
He isn't associated with George Bush. Politically, that's probably the most potent.

It needs to be a new era, with his charisma he could use the bully-pulpit of appealing to the masses to help push things through, ala Reagan. I really don't think Obama would steer the nation to the left too dramatically, the liberal wing of the Democratic party would probably keep protesting him.

People are ready for healthcare reform, only the rich getting richer while everyone else sweats it out is getting old. Somebody needs to help bring the ethnic groups together, only Obama could help push the dysfunctional aspects of African American society into the past.

Personally, I would be heartened by having a smart, successful black man in the oval office. I know way too many kids who have negative role models, who think the system is stacked against them. He blows all of that away.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
He isn't associated with George Bush. Politically, that's probably the most potent.

It needs to be a new era, with his charisma he could use the bully-pulpit of appealing to the masses to help push things through, ala Reagan. I really don't think Obama would steer the nation to the left too dramatically, the liberal wing of the Democratic party would probably keep protesting him.

People are ready for healthcare reform, only the rich getting richer while everyone else sweats it out is getting old. Somebody needs to help bring the ethnicities of the nation together, only Obama could help push the dysfunctional aspects of African American society into the past.

Personally, I would be heartened by having a smart, successful black man in the oval office. I know way too many kids who have negative role models, who think the system is stacked against them. He blows all of that away.
Don't go into politics, you're too long-winded.

He's popular because he isn't Bush and people are mad at Bush. If Bush had done a good job, there's nothing on his brief resume to endear him to the masses.

More health care really isn't a pulsating issue for people.

We have an identity crisis and he isn't the answer. We need to start a sense of identify which mandates each of us to do our best. He has not linked into that need, and he doesn't understand it. McCain isn't the answer and at most will be a placeholder.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

People are ready for healthcare reform, only the rich getting richer while everyone else sweats it out is getting old. Somebody needs to help bring the ethnic groups together, only Obama could help push the dysfunctional aspects of African American society into the past.

exactly correct. there isn't one.

Now the same for McCain. It's easy. Command in Chief.

Vagueness in Obama's appeal. Specificity in McCain's. Advantage McCain.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #46
Ma'ake

Quote:
Vagueness in Obama's appeal. Specificity in McCain's. Advantage McCain.
We need to focus on home.

Enough wrong-headed war, enough of being the world's policeman. Georgia has proven we don't have the military muscle to do it all, especially when the rest of the world yawns when we assert moral authority.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #47
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

YOu're proabbyl a swimmer, too.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We need to focus on home.

Enough wrong-headed war, enough of being the world's policeman. Georgia has proven we don't have the military muscle to do it all, especially when the rest of the world yawns when we assert moral authority.
This is the "in a time of much uncertainty and threats, I propose we hunker down the best we can and ignore them."

You still can't see why dems lose, can you?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #49
Ma'ake

LOL - good sparring session, Mike. (Sincerely)

I better get back to the grindstone before I'm slayed by deadlines.

Take care... and GO UTES!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #50
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So was George Bush.

And by that matter, Mitt Romney. So you endorse Romney as the presumptive nominee for VP? Glad to hear you're on board.
Romney is far from the presumptive VP. I give that TIME blurb almost almost no credence.

However, I do think Romney would be a great choice. I like that he's an Ivy guy, his support for gay marriage, that he seems sensible on social issues in general including family planning (how else could he have been elected governor of Mass.?), and of course his putatitive foreign policy and judicial appointees (really the only two factors that make practical difference in who we choose as president).

I think it would be wonderful for Mormons. Another shove toward the mainstream, reason, and assimilation. This isn't like Turkey electing a Muslim fundamentalist to head of state. On the contrary.

On the other hand if he ever became president I'm sure 80% of Cougarboard would hate him by two years into the term a la Harry Reid.

My biggest concern is that it may not be a smart choice for McCain tactically. I think it could really rip the party, and even maybe give rise to a third candidate that would split the Republicans.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote