cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #41
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is everyone so hung up on making the distinction between giving assistance based on economic situation versus assistance based on race? Sure there is a distinction between the two, but it is a small one. The fact is that a disproportionate number of minorities are poor. If you want to change that then you need to start by creating leaders in the minority communities, giving kids positive role models, giving them hope that there is a way out of their situation. Until you assimilate minority groups into the mainstream, you will never break the chain of institutional poverty that has been going on for generations in this country.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #42
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Why is everyone so hung up on making the distinction between giving assistance based on economic situation versus assistance based on race?
I don't mind at all. I just want to shut the conservatives up on the issue.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the fact is AA doesn't always help.

Study looked at Berkeley's black students....high percentage flunked out. But at the 2nd tier Cal schools, blacks did well. AA can set up kids to fail when they are not prepared for what they are getting themselves into.

At my med school, they had a recruitment program for hispanics, everyone brought through this program either flunked out or had to repeat a year. They were not academically prepared for our school (but could have done reasonably well at Zulu451's school ).

Asians have to deal with prejudice, and have been historically discriminated against. Why not give them AA?

And why give up on the white trash kid from the backwoods of Kentucky who doesn't have a relative that even finished high school?

Wealthy hispanics and blacks getting easy rides doesn't sit well with me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #44
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree completely, Mike. It doesn't do anyone a favor to send them to college unprepared solely because of their race.

Racism in any form doesn't sit well with me. As Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, ""I have a dream that children will be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin."

(this post partially for people who think I disagree with everything anyone says around here.)
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #45
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Why is everyone so hung up on making the distinction between giving assistance based on economic situation versus assistance based on race? Sure there is a distinction between the two, but it is a small one. The fact is that a disproportionate number of minorities are poor. If you want to change that then you need to start by creating leaders in the minority communities, giving kids positive role models, giving them hope that there is a way out of their situation. Until you assimilate minority groups into the mainstream, you will never break the chain of institutional poverty that has been going on for generations in this country.
You make assumptions that significant enough numbers will return to the communities from whence they came. The education must occur within the communities, as I don't believe, once departed they return. Somebody should research that.

If it were easy, it would have already been done.

Mike also makes valid points about favoring one race over another.

Economic distress is more important than focusing upon race.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 AM   #46
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i am all for BYU having affirmative action, I think LDS minorities deserve more than minorities of other religious denominations. LDS minorities have the chance to be saved while others we are just wasting tax payers dollars on education for them to burn in hell.

That is all.