cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old when you learned of polyandry by JS?
Before baptism? 1 2.17%
Before puberty or 14? 8 17.39%
Before 20? 7 15.22%
After 20 or after mission? 23 50.00%
After 30? 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #51
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Yes, he was. But it was only after years of repeated adultery. It wasn't just a one time oops for Carrington.
Was this common knowledge amongst the Twelve/First Presidency?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #52
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

This is from Quinn. I can check Quinn's source when I get home.

15 Jan, 1897 - Apostle Brigham Young Jr. temporarily resigns as vice-president of Brigham Young Trust Co. because first counselor George Q. Cannon allows its property to become "a first class" brothel on Commercial Street (now Regent Street), Salt Lake City. Apostle Heber J. Grant is invited to its opening reception and is stunned to discover himself inside "a regular whore-house." This situation begins in 1891 and for fifty years church-owned and controlled real estate companies lease houses of prostitution.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #53
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

and the Lord permitted the Church to own a brothel for decades.

and...
Talk about diversification. Of course there is the public health aspect as well.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #54
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Was this common knowledge amongst the Twelve/First Presidency?
Probably.

Elder John Henry Smith reported it to Pres. John Taylor. One of Joseph F. Smith's wives reported it to her husband. There were inquiries in 1873 and 1883.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #55
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is from Quinn. I can check Quinn's source when I get home.

15 Jan, 1897 - Apostle Brigham Young Jr. temporarily resigns as vice-president of Brigham Young Trust Co. because first counselor George Q. Cannon allows its property to become "a first class" brothel on Commercial Street (now Regent Street), Salt Lake City. Apostle Heber J. Grant is invited to its opening reception and is stunned to discover himself inside "a regular whore-house." This situation begins in 1891 and for fifty years church-owned and controlled real estate companies lease houses of prostitution.
I wonder how Joe and Chris Cannon feel about this little tidbit about their famous ancestor. If true, of course.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #56
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just curious how you, Santos and whomever else can feel so certain that God just threw up his hands and let Joseph Smith et al commit what has been termed in scripture the most grevious sin next to murder without direct intervention for so long when there is no recorded precedent for God doing so in the past?

There is no historical/scriptural precedent.

We have ample historical/scriptural precedent indicating the exact opposite, however. We have the story of Joseph Smith pleading with God to let Martin Harris have the 116 pages, despite being told "no" twice and when Martin Harris lost the pages, Joseph Smith lost his ability to translate the plates for a season. That incident is a mere trifle compared to mass adultery in the grand scheme of things.

The assertion that God somehow just let 'Joseph do what Joseph got to do' is unfathomably intellectually and scripturally incongruous.

I don't feel so certain about it. It's just one possible explanation for what occurred, and to me it's the easiest, most logical, so I'm going with it for now.

I also wouldn't term it mass adultery.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #57
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Carrington was excommunicated. I don't know who the General Primary President was that was a lesbian, but did they escape disciplinary action?
As far as I know, Louise Felt and her 1st Counselor, May Anderson, were never subjected to Church discipline.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #58
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As far as I know, Louise Felt and her 1st Counselor, May Anderson, were never subjected to Church discipline.
This story gets better...Louise Felt what? Get it? I kill me!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #59
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Early 20's for me.

As Drum said, we come from Polygamous stock so that we practiced it was never a foreign concept. But I think that Arch is asking a different more specific question than just when we learned of polygamy.

As I say, I had always know of it generally. The first exposure I had to what I think Arch is referring to was in a "Mormon" section of a Barnes and Noble in SLC which I was perusing when I came upon Quinn's The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power. I just sat and read a little and was fascinated by a lot of the details of history I had not encountered before. This must have been 1996. I bought the book and while I was skeptical of some of what Quinn claimed, he seemed well documented.

This book introduced me simultaneously to the ideas that (1) Joseph had many wives, some of whom were already married and (2) that this fact was not only not readily acknowledged at the time or subsequently, but was in fact strenously denied. As I have learned more about this over the years, that it occurred seems indisputable, but the particulars (were they all sexual relationships for example) are very ellusive and probably unknowable.

Much more interesting to me than that issue was the idea that there was a succession "crisis", that there were many who asserted plausible claims to leadership and that it was three years before Brigham Young began to refer to himself as president of the church. Also interesting that John Taylor did not become president of the church until three years after Brigham died.

I don't fault the church for streamlining some of this for purposes of presentation. But it is a bit like saying that the 13 Colonies were controlled by King George, III and that when they became the United States of America that we had a president instead of a King. If this was all you knew, and then someone handed you a copy of the Federalist Papers, or a Thomas Payne pamphlet or General Washington's journal from Valley Forge, you might be forgiven for thinking that all the most interesting parts had been left out.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #60
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Talk about diversification. Of course there is the public health aspect as well.
If you can't beat them, join them. One nice thing about it though, we leased only "first class brothels." Good thing it was first rate. Hate to have seedy joints down there.

And SLC bankers financed many of the Strip properties in Vegas.

Hmmm.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-30-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote