cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #51
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I'm trying to get you to elaborate your point of view with reason. You use words like "criticism," "higher," and "settled belief" without specifying in what senses they apply.

If you are interested in elaborating your perspective, something which could be useful and which will allow you to forego the word games and convenient shifting of assumptions that lead only to frustration for all involved, you'll answer my questions (and similar ones). If you're really sincere, you'll take time to reflect on them first.
I am expecting people to use the common-sense definitions of the words. Is the word "criticism" really unclear to you?

Last edited by Tex; 08-07-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Removing personal attack.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #52
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I am expecting people to use the common-sense definitions of the words, something in short supply around here apparently.

Someone as educated as you should understand what "criticism" is.
Beyond special dictionaries like the OED, Black's Law Dictionary, and the like, dictionary defintions get one exactly nowhere. Words, as enthymemes, shift meaning in both time and space, hence the value of etymology. So-called common sense is rife with axiological assumptions (ideological and/or values based assumptions).

The arguments about what does and does not constitute "criticism" in any useful sense could fill an entire row of shelves in a library. At my library, they do. Is it distinct from "mockery?" Can it have constructive and destructive components? If so, which attributes belong with which components? Any credible notion of "criticism" will attempt to account for it's own limitations and assumptions. Aristotle distinguished between simple definitions, which situate a word within a larger framework of words (like the word "Dalmation" within "breed" and "canine") and definitions that could actually be operationalized (like "anxiety" as "increase in blood pressure, increase in moisture on the skin, and increase of cortisol in the blood stream," such as might be done in a scientific experiment).

In brief, I'm asking that you examine your own assumptions and to elaborate on what it is you actually think. Completing the sentence: "Criticism of Church leaders by members occurs when...but not when..." would get you off to a running start.

The more you resist elaborating on your own perspective, the more it looks like either you simply don't want to share it, or don't want to discover it, or both.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-07-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #53
FMCoug

FMCoug

The way this thread has evolved is a classic example of what's wrong with this forum.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
The way this thread has evolved is a classic example of what's wrong with this forum.
I couldn't disagree more. Either Tex will examine his assumptions and elaborate on his views and will stop playing games or he will have exactly zero leverage with which to opine. The forum should actually improve.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-07-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #55
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Either Tex will examine his assumptions and elaborate on his views and will stop playing games or he will have exactly zero levarge with which to opine. The forum should actually improve.
If think what FM is saying is is that this thread was originally intended to help solve a local missionary/retention issue, but instead has evolved into some ideological playground.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #56
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading this Board with increasing frequency lately, and Requiem's fascinating posts have been a major reason. Given my history, I'm probably biased here, but I think the bishop deserves a definite thumbs up. I've known some (thankfully, only a few) whose pride would prevent them from acknowledging an error. But this bishop sounds like a genuinely good brother who not only admitted an error (committed, I'm very confident, with the best of intentions), but then did everything in his power to rectify the mistake. Really a great story. Thanks, Requiem.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #57
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
If think what FM is saying is is that this thread was originally intended to help solve a local missionary/retention issue, but instead has evolved into some ideological playground.
I think the original post and responses were great. If Tex actually manages to articulate his POV, that will be great too. If Mike wants to splilt the thread, he'll get no complaints from me.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #58
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post

Close. What I'm saying is that what started out as a great post / thread about how a problem was solved in a tactful way and ended up being a great spritual experience for all involved, has turned contentious, which is what pretty much every thread in this forum does.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #59
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Close. What I'm saying is that what started out as a great post / thread about how a problem was solved in a tactful way and ended up being a great spritual experience for all involved, has turned contentious, which is what pretty much every thread in this forum does.
I'm not being contentious. I'm not angry, or frustrated, or anything. I'm just hoping Tex will elaborate on his POV.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #60
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
In simplest terms, the first person you should contact is your bishop if you have a problem with something they've said or done. Afterwards, if you feel the issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction, then contact your stake president.

I think that's pretty much what happened, isn't it?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote