cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #51
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Unless he was on Colbert and Colbert told him to say something that he knew was false, I don't have a clue what else could have been said that would enlighten us further.
? Read the quote -not the misquoting:

"Should God speak to you, and ask you to do something that might be in conflict with your duties as president, or should He speak to your prophet who would speak to you, how would you make that decision, how would you handle that?" reporter Natalie Jacobson asks.

Romney laughs and then replies, "Well, I don't recall God speaking to me. I, I don't recall God speaking to anyone since, uh, Moses and the [burning] bush, or perhaps some OTHERS, but, but I don't have that frequent of communication."

He is talking about himself. NOT the church, not Joseph Smith, not Gordon B Hinckley -but others presume he is speaking about those people because it profits them to create controversy!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #52
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I will grant you that. I don't know. But I know that he proclaims a belief in the restoration of the gospel, and I know he later said something that totally contradicts a belief in the restoration of the gospel, so I know that one way or the other he lied. Feel free to choose which statement was a lie. I find it more likely to believe that his "Moses" quote was the lie of the two.
How is it a lie if he is speaking about himself as compared to Moses or the Prophet? You are REACHING here.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You forgot to mention that he wasn't talking about Moses either.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
There is no concensus on how we as individual memers use prayer and revelation to make life's important decisions. So he would be answering an question that isn't being posed to McCain, Huck, Hillary, Barak, etc.
I am not sure why there needs to be consensus for Mitt to answer a hypo that was directed at him...what would HE do?

Also, unique questions are posed to specific candidates all the time. This is not a new practice.

Mitt's answer is misleading....even as it pertains to himself. Unless he is telling the truth and he rarely receives inspiration of any sort.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #55
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm fine with the idea that Mitt has no testimony of the church and the restoration. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
ok Seattle ... lol
Old 12-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One gets the impression that a Harry Reid would not be given near the leeway that a Mitt Romney gets, if Harry had suggested the same thing.

The simple fact is that many Mormons want to see Mitt become president, no matter the circumstances, no matter the untruths, no matter the flip-flopping, etc.

"He's a different kind of politician. He's honest. He's a man of God. He's had a change of heart, and finally seen that God's truth is coincident with conservative GOP beliefs."

Only the intellectually dishonest fail to see this.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Mitt's answer is misleading....even as it pertains to himself. Unless he is telling the truth and he rarely receives inspiration of any sort.
Again, wouldn't surprise me if this is true.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #58
tooblue

Quote:
You forgot to mention that he wasn't talking about Moses either.
Is Moses the relevant individual here ... now you are parsing, because the very basis for criticism is severly flawed
Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Is Moses the relevant individual here ... now you are parsing, because the very basis for criticism is severly flawed
according to you he was only talking about himself, so I mention that you forgot to say he wasn't speaking about Moses in that quote as well.

I know it's strained logic, but to each his own.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #60
tooblue

Quote:
Again, wouldn't surprise me if this is true.
It's only misleading as much as it hase been made by those that PROFIT from it being misleading. Compare it to what he said in the Meet The Press interview ... oh, but that would poke too many holes in your nice little controversy.