cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #51
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I have professional expertise in what is and is not evidence, and you are wrong. There is a lot of evidence against the Book of Mormon including some to which you allude and baldly dismiss as not constituting evidence. Some we haven't even mentioned here such as JS's proven history for claiming he translated historical documents and coming up with something not remotely accurate in place, time or content to what we know the document says with the aid of the Rosetta Stone (I'm suspending my rule of not debating such things to show how a case might be made against the Book of Mormon in court, since we're talking bout what is and is not evidenc).

Even a post-modernist view, and I appreciate very much sophisticated post-modernism such as Cormac McCarthy's, does not do violence to the evidence. It's about recognizing the continuing vitality of mystery. Not denying reality.
Correction, I am right and you are wrong ... You have professional expertise in what 'may' be considered evidence. And simply because it 'may' be considered evidence does not mean it is such.

Surely you can see the error in your reasoning
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #52
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Tooblue, you can be an interesting guy, but every time you start talking about how complex you are, I know the thread is at the bottom and twitching.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #53
tooblue

Quote:
In the first place, I don't think it's far fetched that ancient Americans and ancient Egyptians independently came up with pyramids. If you have evidence of Old World peoples migrating to the Americas in 600 B.C. out with it! Cough it up.
What wonderful coincidences
Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #54
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
What wonderful coincidences
Compare reed boat construction between the Nile and Lake Titicaca.

What about Olmec heads with distinctly African facial traits?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 06-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #55
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Tooblue, you can be an interesting guy, but every time you start talking about how complex you are, I know the thread is at the bottom and twitching.
I only talk about it to point out that every participant here is equally complex if not moreso In fact isn't that the most compelling aspect of these threads –that participants start and participate in them in an effort to divulge their complexity?

Losing sight of individual posters complexity is a root cause of thread deterioration.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #56
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

So I saw this thread, and noticed that it had gone from six or so posts to fifty posts, and even before I opened the thread, thought, "SU must have started another pissing match."

Folks, why do you bother arguing with him? Here is a guy who asks for answers in the same breath in which he says he won't bother with anybody who claims to have answers. He beats the same drum ad nauseum, as though THIS time, somebody might listen. And yet we fire back, as though THIS time, he might change.

We are as much to blame for his obtrusiveness as he is, so long as we keep responding to this drivel. Please just ignore him.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #57
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
So I saw this thread, and noticed that it had gone from six or so posts to fifty posts, and even before I opened the thread, thought, "SU must have started another pissing match."

Folks, why do you bother arguing with him? Here is a guy who asks for answers in the same breath in which he says he won't bother with anybody who claims to have answers. He beats the same drum ad nauseum, as though THIS time, somebody might listen. And yet we fire back, as though THIS time, he might change.

We are as much to blame for his obtrusiveness as he is, so long as we keep responding to this drivel. Please just ignore him.
I want to have an intellectual discussion about the Book of Mormon. It looks to me like it's about like trying to have ain intellectual discussion about a baseball card. Help me out. Prove me wrong.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #58
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post

Archaea and some of the others here derive masochistic pleasure out of licking his testicle sweat.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I want to have an intellectual discussion about the Book of Mormon. It looks to me like it's about like trying to have ain intellectual discussion about a baseball card. Help me out. Prove me wrong.
All you've done is prove what All-American said is true. You ask for mustard seeds, but then you ignore them once you've been given some.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #60
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That's a crock. You are as close minded if not more so than any apologist. Look at your posts in this thread. You are not interested in considering infromaiton, as you have reached your conclusions and force feed everything into them, whether they fit easily or not.