cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading in Readers Digest an article about the torture that Cuba did on its political dissidents. This was years ago when I was a kid.

Small spaces, not letting them sleep, bright lights, isolation.

It was evidence of how terrible Cuba was.

And now these same "Readers Digest Conservatives" see no irony in the USA using these techniques, and worse, in Cuba.

I'm glad the light of Christ still abides in you Tex. Because that is a gift to everyone, no matter how wretched the soul.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #52
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Fascist? Really, Mike Waters.

Fascism:

1: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control

Are you still up for waterboarding Snipe?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2768556
A state that can round up its own citizens, declare them, in secret, to be enemy combatants, hold them secretly without any recourse, and torturing them---well that fits my definition of "centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition; a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control."

When a guy in a cave in Pakistan can destroy the ethics of this county he has won, whether he launches another attack or not. And that is what you fools can't see.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I remember reading in Readers Digest an article about the torture that Cuba did on its political dissidents. This was years ago when I was a kid.

Small spaces, not letting them sleep, bright lights, isolation.

It was evidence of how terrible Cuba was.

And now these same "Readers Digest Conservatives" see no irony in the USA using these techniques, and worse, in Cuba.

I'm glad the light of Christ still abides in you Tex. Because that is a gift to everyone, no matter how wretched the soul.
I know you think your stance on waterboarding gives you a misplaced sense of superior goodness, and if that helps your self-esteem, wonderful!

I don't recall ever firmly sitting in either camp on waterboarding, and since no one can come up with a definition of torture better than "I know it when I see it," I'm entitled to think that.

At best, I think it's a very gray area, which is why I would probably support it being practice under very limited conditions. And by all publicly-available reports, that's how the gov't practiced it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #54
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I know you think your stance on waterboarding gives you a misplaced sense of superior goodness, and if that helps your self-esteem, wonderful!

I don't recall ever firmly sitting in either camp on waterboarding, and since no one can come up with a definition of torture better than "I know it when I see it," I'm entitled to think that.

At best, I think it's a very gray area, which is why I would probably support it being practice under very limited conditions. And by all publicly-available reports, that's how the gov't practiced it.
183 times in one month on one guy is "very limited conditions?"

What is wrong with you?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Bullshit, I have defined torture. You have just chosen not to remember.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #56
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
183 times in one month on one guy is "very limited conditions?"

What is wrong with you?
I'd like to know more about that report. Initial reports were that KSM broke under waterboarding in 2 minutes, so I'm not sure what the 183 times was for.

And yes, that does seem excessive. But just to be clear, "limited conditions" doesn't just mean # of times ... it also means # of people. As best we know, very, very few people have been waterboarded.

Quote:
Bullshit, I have defined torture. You have just chosen not to remember.
Right. You have deferred to Chris Hitchens.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I have been condemning the practice of torture for many years. While Obama was still negotiating book deals with the oligarchs.

I have previously said that we should commit no acts that we would not be willing to have committed on our own sons and daughters should they be captured. The decency we would expect and ask for in the treatment of our own is the decency we should require of ourselves.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #58
Tex

Quote:
I have been condemning the practice of torture for many years. While Obama was still negotiating book deals with the oligarchs.

I have previously said that we should commit no acts that we would not be willing to have committed on our own sons and daughters should they be captured. The decency we would expect and ask for in the treatment of our own is the decency we should require of ourselves.
That's not a definition of torture.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #59
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'd like to know more about that report. Initial reports were that KSM broke under waterboarding in 2 minutes, so I'm not sure what the 183 times was for.

And yes, that does seem excessive. But just to be clear, "limited conditions" doesn't just mean # of times ... it also means # of people. As best we know, very, very few people have been waterboarded.

It is in the declassified memos that were just released. Wouldn't it be just awful if the Bush admin lied and he didn't really break after 2 minutes?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #60
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It is in the declassified memos that were just released. Wouldn't it be just awful if the Bush admin lied and he didn't really break after 2 minutes?
That's a pretty premature conclusion.

What I think is truly awful is how Obama continues to prostrate himself before dictators and oppressive nations. Never underestimate a liberal's desire to surrender America's moral greatness to any two-bit country that asks for it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young