cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #51
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
but (generally speaking), what if you can't come to an agreement on other terms - certainly you aren't implying that the parties should still be bound by the agreed upon terms just because it is the ethical thing to do.
No, but that isn't what was relayed to me as what occurred. You keep modifying the situation to fit your arguments. Given what was relayed to me as true (and it might not be) then Kyle acted badly. That said, I don't think it has a bearing on his ability to coach.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #52
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sorry I don't buy the info from this thread.

I don't trust the "inside" info about Kyle and the contract.

There's a big difference between "agree in principle waiting to think about it or pray about it or run it by my wife" and "I've read the contract everything's perfect, I've made my decision and committed to it, fax it over and I'll sign".

I don't care who says they know what happens. I wouldn't care if Holmoe told me face to face or if KW told me face to face. Everyone fudges this kind of information to make themselves more sympathetic.

Don't believe "inside info". You're probably getting manipulated by it.
I think you make a valid point. People modify their memory of the past to support their opinions in the present.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #53
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Kyle and BYU had an agreement done but had not reduced it to a formal writing. Both had agreed on all terms. Kyle got a call from the U while the contract was being prepared. He returned to the Y and told them that the U had offered a little more money and he wanted the Y to match. BYU told him that they already had an agreement with him and they expected him to honor it. He said he wanted more money and knew they could pay it. They told him to pound sand. Bottom line, Kyle reneged on his deal with the Y. The U didn't outbid the Y. The Y refused to modify a previously agreed on contract.
Yep, that's how I heard it too.
Except that Wilford Woodruff was summoned from the other side to put the fear of god into Kyle to not go back on his word. and it didn't work.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #54
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

The way the info was released while it went down was...

1. BYU admin are all in Hawaii with the BB team taking their sweet time communicating with KW.
2. They finally speed things up when they realize UM is leaving and Utah's gonna want KW.
3. They lowball KW and KW has basically decided to take the deal but not committed yet, and due to the process taking up so much time, Utah comes in and offers a higher amount. KW now has two offers to mull.

I don't know which version is correct. But BYU seriously bungled this. And info from BYU to absolve them and blame KW is to be expected.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #55
K-dog

Quote:
The way the info was released while it went down was...

1. BYU admin are all in Hawaii with the BB team taking their sweet time communicating with KW.
2. They finally speed things up when they realize UM is leaving and Utah's gonna want KW.
3. They lowball KW and KW has basically decided to take the deal but not committed yet, and due to the process taking up so much time, Utah comes in and offers a higher amount. KW now has two offers to mull.

I don't know which version is correct. But BYU seriously bungled this. And info from BYU to absolve them and blame KW is to be expected.
It could be accurate. It also could be inaccurate. My information says it is inaccurate.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #56
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I'll go on record as saying that I wanted Kyle over Bronco. I felt like the issues in the football program weren't going to be resolved by promoting somebody from within.

I think that while Kyle may be rough around the edges as a coach, I think he also would have been a good hire at the Y. I will clarify though that I think Bronco has done a great job for BYU, and if given the choice, I wouldn't trade him for Whittingham right now.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 AM   #57
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
It could be accurate. It also could be inaccurate. My information says it is inaccurate.
didn't this also fall about the same time as lavell's induction into the college hall of fame?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #58
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I'll go on record as saying that I wanted Kyle over Bronco. I felt like the issues in the football program weren't going to be resolved by promoting somebody from within.

I think that while Kyle may be rough around the edges as a coach, I think he also would have been a good hire at the Y. I will clarify though that I think Bronco has done a great job for BYU, and if given the choice, I wouldn't trade him for Whittingham right now.
This is a pretty reasonable position. I think that Whit would've done a fine job at BYU. As you note, he is a little rough around the edges and that might not have been what the BYU program or administrators needed at the time.

I think it has taken KW a longer time to turn the corner as a football coach, and he is not out of the woods yet, but given the combination of following Meyer, Bronco's early success, and the 1-3 start to this season, I think that he has done a nice job of turning things around and is learning what it takes to be a D1 coach...and yes, even the kick heard round utah county will help him mature, even though it was an immature thing to do.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #59
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
and yes, even the kick heard round utah county
One reason why it might seem to you guys like there are tons of fans interested in your onsides kick is that there are like five times more BYU fans than U fans. So when something happens in a U game that hits the local news and gets BYU's attention, you're going to have a lot more interest in your program than you're used to getting.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #60
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One reason why it might seem to you guys like there are tons of fans interested in your onsides kick is that there are like five times more BYU fans than U fans. So when something happens in a U game that hits the local news and gets BYU's attention, you're going to have a lot more interest in your program than you're used to getting.
I thought it was because we got Gordon Monson to pay attention to us...now we have truly arrived.