cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #51
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I suspect that the 24 hour news network has ended the era in which the President could be a popular figure. There is and always will be too much exposure for American voters not to find something they don't like about the government leaders.

The only way around this that I can see is for government leaders to get off the front pages of the papers is to stop doing things that are newsworthy-- id est, decreasing the size of the government. You'd think that if the government can't find things that are important enough to get on the front page of the paper that people actually like, that it would be a rather glaring sign.

I suspect America has wanted a more conservative government ever since Reagan came along. Bush I and Bush II's greatest flaws have been a very UNconservative approach to spending and regulation ("read my lips" comes to mind). Meanwhile, Clinton's greatest victory is the fact that he yielded so much ground to the conservatives.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Those are excellent choices, but if I were to glean attributes from among the board, I think I'd steal modesty, discernment, maturity, and a nicely-sized income.
Umm..... Good luck with that. Don't look at me.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #53
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Umm..... Good luck with that. Don't look at me.
Yeah, well, I think you came out on top of that list. You've got something that's marketable. Me? I'll I've got going for me is the fact that I may someday be worth something.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #54
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Whether Gitmo fits the decription of a panopticon or not, I am uncertain as I'm a little, or rather a lot rusty on my Foucault, but I do remember some of the details of concentration camps having studied German and lived in Germany, and the comparison is very poor and in poor taste. Perhaps the Japanese internment camps creates a better analogy.
I don't have the Nazi death camps specifically in mind (and neither does Foucault). It's more about the control of movement, the surveillance of behavior, and the partitioning of the infected from the healthy. Foucault's discussion of the 17th century plague, and the techniques to control it with prison logic, have application to today's discussion of terror. Terror is our plague in some senses.

The Nazi camps did impliment a measure of panopticism, but they had many other aspects as well. I would argue that the Nazi camps are an intense, but not particularly representitive, instance of a much broader mode of thinking. In Foucauldian terms, Gitmo could be thought of as a center for those infected with terrorism.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 05-17-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #55
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If I could but possess, pelagius's financial acumen, PAC and Goat's wit, Jeff's engineering expertise, SIEQ's philosophical insights and vocabulary, Creekster's former cycling ability, Seattle's writing ability, Solon's classical knowledge, CHC's critical training, AA's potential and Mike's ingenuity, I'd really be unstoppable.
Your forgetting Mormon Red Death's sexpertise
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #56
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default You need to find a middle gear, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and then when his "we should double Gitmo" statement came out, I suddenly realized something: almost nothing distinguishes Mitt from Bush.

The guys on cougarboard couldn't even tell me how Mitt differed from Bush on the issues.

If you really, really look at the facts: there is very little to suggest that Mitt is principled, and A LOT of evidence to suggest that he is not.

Sorry Mitt, I am off the bandwagon.
Also, I think if Bush is anything, he is principled. Isn't that what everyone complains about, his inflexibility? If anything, Mitt is the opposite of Bush because of his malleability.

I still have my questions about Mitt, and I don't expect all my questions will be answered in a twinkling.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #57
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'll ask this question: Does anyone think a politician changes his mind because he actually well decided or realized he was wrong...or do you think a politician will change their mind 99.9% of the time for political gain?

I've no reason to NOT believe Romney when he says that on a couple of issues, abortion one of them, that he came to realize that he was just flat out wrong.

Have any of you ever realized you're flat out wrong on something and changed your mind or thought process about it or did you change your mind because you realized it would bring you gain later on?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #58
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I suspect that the 24 hour news network has ended the era in which the President could be a popular figure. There is and always will be too much exposure for American voters not to find something they don't like about the government leaders.
That's a fantastic point. I question whether Washington himself would have been as universally loved if he'd had CNN covering everything he did and said.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

When I liked Romney I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But when I realized that my values regarding torture, Gitmo etc. didn't match wth Romney's I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #60
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When I liked Romney I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

But when I realized that my values regarding torture, Gitmo etc. didn't match wth Romney's I stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt.
My guess is no leader shares your very idealistic views toward torture, and that you dismissing Romney for a silly, intangible reason.