cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #51
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I still don't understand why it is "beyond the pale" to ask a YM about masturbation.

It is sexist to exclude women.
I don't want some wheezing, leering middle aged, diet coke swilling guy with his gut hanging over his belt made fat on tuna casserole and starved of sex for 20 years asking my 17 year old daughter if she masterbates, how, how many times, etc. Sorry, but that's my stereotype of your average Mormon bishop. There aren't many of these yokels I've met I'd trust to discuss sensitive matters with my kids.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't want some wheezing, leering middle aged, diet coke swilling guy with his gut hanging over his belt made fat on tuna casserole and starved of sex for 20 years asking my 17 year old daughter if she masterbates, how, how many times, etc. Sorry, but that's my stereotype of your average Mormon bishop. There aren't many of these yokels I've met I'd trust to discuss sensitive matters with my kids.
Then I guess it's a good thing you're not in the church.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #53
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't let my stories ruin your opinion of the Church, SU.

I'd wager that leaders in the Mormon Church have a much higher incidence of respectable behavior than leaders of any other Church on earth.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #54
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've never known a single Bishop or Stake President that wasn't a good respectable man.

I guess I have lived a sheltered life.
I have never had a bad man as my bishop or stake president. None have ever been accused of anything disreputable and I consider several my friends.

Is it possible we have a few bad eggs? Absolutely. But I wouldn't base my entire life on the statistical anomalies. I will perhaps modify some elements of trust based on what's out there, but I won't start insinuating that all bishops are doing this.

I even had one bishop excommunicated for his affair with RS President. He later died of cancer, a broken man; I'm not insinuating it was related to anything spiritual, just noted, he desired a nonreligious funeral. Nonetheless despite his change of heart I regarded him as a good man.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-10-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #55
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And if your children were in the Church, according to current Church protocol, it wouldn't happen unless the girl brought it up. In factd, they are specifically instructed not to ask.

The interview process is well-taught now, and controlled. Are you against a school nurse having this information? What about her gyncologist?

We had a gynecologist who was having sex with his patients. I have no idea how he got away with it, but he did. He is documented, and his nickname was Hair McNair. You can look him up in Westlaw.

Do you stop sending daughters to gynecologists because a gynecologist or two abused their confidences and actually had sex with patients?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #56
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And if your children were in the Church, according to current Church protocol, it wouldn't happen unless the girl brought it up. In factd, they are specifically instructed not to ask.

The interview process is well-taught now, and controlled. Are you against a school nurse having this information? What about her gyncologist?

We had a gynecologist who was having sex with his patients. I have no idea how he got away with it, but he did. He is documented, and his nickname was Hair McNair. You can look him up in Westlaw.

Do you stop sending daughters to gynecologists because a gynecologist or two abused their confidences and actually had sex with patients?
I think the difference is that you can choose your gynecologist. You can't choose your bishop.

But I still agree with you. It's silly to overreact because of the rare bad bishop.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #57
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've never known a single Bishop or Stake President that wasn't a good respectable man.

I guess I have lived a sheltered life.
I only know of one instance where a SP got it on with the Stake RS President. Other than that I know of none that weren't good and respectable men. I know of a few I would never do business with for fear the would cheat me blind, but that doesn't mean they weren't good and respectable men. What is cheating to me is good business to someone else and who am I to judge.

I wonder on a percentage basis how many Bishops and SP's commit sexual indescretions vs Catholic Priests. I am sure both organizations try to keep those percentages non-public.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #58
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters is a freak. He straddles the line between Mormonism's tribal, hillbilly past, and its assimilated, sushi establishment and ladies' Italian shoe store landlord and moderate Christian mainstream future, even while feeling the tug of the closet apostate perspective. He's a schizoid man.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #59
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Waters is a freak. He straddles the line between Mormonism's tribal, hillbilly past, and its assimilated, sushi establishment and ladies' Italian shoe store landlord and moderate Christian mainstream future, even while feeling the tug of the closet apostate perspective. He's a schizoid man.
He's just an equal opportunity troll.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #60
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Be nice to Mike. You couldn't even post that here if it weren't for him.

Besides, I think straddling lines is a perfectly reasonable approach. The Church isn't perfect, but it's the best thing around.