cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #51
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
People are saying I'm overreacting, but they haven't said how. Frankly, I haven't seen anyone actually summarize my objections accurately. I can tell you're trying here, and that you don't have a bone to pick, but this is different from a CTR ring. DB is selling it as the ring JS wore to his martyrdom, as a ring that was handed down among family, and at the same time, the Church discourages members from wearing crosses.

On the one hand someone could dismiss it as cheesy, but s/he would be ignoring the very real reasons for buying the thing in the first place. Will most people buy this to be cheesy? No. They'll buy it and wear it and be dead serious.

Just imagine, for a moment, someone noticing that ring and asking about it. The wearer explains that it's a replica of a ring that Joseph Smith wore. This will freak some people out, especially those who note that Mormons don't sport the usual Christian symbols. A reasonable person could think the whole thing bizarre without any malice or ill intent for Mormons.

This product has "bad idea" written all over it.
Until most Mormons start wearing these things, or they hand them out to every newly-ordained Elder, I feel safe. DB is trying to make money. If they could sell JS ruffle shirts they'd do it. How effective of a tool can this be for Antis if most Mormons, when confronted with it, go "huh?"

As for bizarre, given the inventory of "bizarre" we Mormons universally cherish and maintain, I doubt this would even make the top 50 most "bizarre."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #52
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think for many christians it represents that Jesus conquered both death and suffering. No doubt this isn't true for every Christian, but I do think that the cross can represent the ressurrected Jesus since after all it is an empty cross.
Of course that symbolism seems rather empty as well given that the cross is going to be empty whether or not there is a ressurction.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the rings tacky. I find everything about Deseret Books tacky. Personally, it doesn't offend me, but if were a believer I would be troubled that the Church has any connection to Deseret Book. The whole idea of an institution whose sole objective is to profit from someone else's religious belief should be galling to anyone who truly believes. I had a professor who told me once, "You know, I can remember back when the Church was a church and not just a corporation." If I were a member, I'd be very concerned with the direction the Mormon Church is headed.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I find the rings tacky. I find everything about Deseret Books tacky. Personally, it doesn't offend me, but if were a believer I would be troubled that the Church has any connection to Deseret Book. The whole idea of an institution whose sole objective is to profit from someone else's religious belief should be galling to anyone who truly believes. I had a professor who told me once, "You know, I can remember back when the Church was a church and not just a corporation." If I were a member, I'd be very concerned with the direction the Mormon Church is headed.
Thanks for your concern. They will be filed in the same cavern that SU's are housed in. I hope you are not offended that we don't microfiche them. Limited resources. And frankly, limited demand.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #55
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The Mormon horror at the cross is but one way in which Mormonism resembles its ancient distant cousin Islam. When Islam conquered the majority of the civilized world all the statues went down, Christian and pagan alike, in the lands it occupied. Islamic art even eschews human representations and is for the most part abstract. It is an outgrowth of hard core monotheism and a related aeseticism, including desire to prevent any drift toward adoration of any form of representation. Martin Luther held a similar outlook. As I've said it was the Renaissance that turned him against Catholicism. Indulgences were a fairly minor issue.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #56
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Thanks for your concern. They will be filed in the same cavern that SU's are housed in. I hope you are not offended that we don't microfiche them.
Mike, let me know if you ever need someone to clean the ol' microfilm reader. I'm an expert.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"Horror"? Please.

It's just not our worship tradition.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #58
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Thanks for your concern. They will be filed in the same cavern that SU's are housed in. I hope you are not offended that we don't microfiche them. Limited resources. And frankly, limited demand.
You shouldn't thank me. Like I said, I'm no longer concerned. I'm just surprised at the glaring things people are willing to overlook in the name of faith. But if it works for you, then I applaud you.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #59
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
No evidence. No argument. Nothing but mockery.
Quite the departure from his usual posts. Or something.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #60
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I agree to an extent. To me, the most dangerous thing about Deseret Book is that anything they sell is deemed de facto sponsored by the church (and that includes some really strange literature).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote