cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #51
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Avoiding fornication, lust, and immodesty is considered "negative messaging"? Heh, who knew.

I suppose that makes Jesus and Paul guilty too, and for a lot longer than some measly 20-40 years.

Damn, it's amazing any Christian has sex anymore. And where the heck are all these kids coming from?
I think even you know what I mean. Like I said, it's what's implicit. It's the connotation -- not the denotation -- of the message that's negative.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #52
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I thought you weren't Mormon.
yeah. It was just a random guess. Was I close?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
yeah. It was just a random guess. Was I close?
With a bulls eye.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #54
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Avoiding fornication, lust, and immodesty is considered "negative messaging"? Heh, who knew.

I suppose that makes Jesus and Paul guilty too, and for a lot longer than some measly 20-40 years.

Damn, it's amazing any Christian has sex anymore. And where the heck are all these kids coming from?
Tex don't be denser than usual.

Let's simplify it.

Don't have sex, it's baaaad. Some girls thereafter get it programmed, "sex is bad, sex is bad, save it for somebody you love."

Emotional messages are not as nuanced as intellectual messages.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #55
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Speaking as one who's single and dated LDS and Non-LDS alike...I can tell you that the attitudes and the guilt syndrome ingrained....that there are worlds of difference.

A lot of the Non-LDS gals I've been out with seem to have much healthier attitudes towards sex in general....well so far as I've noticed anyway.
What do you mean much healthier attitudes towards sex in general? The fact that the LDS girls want to wait until they are married, that they don't want their breasts to be hanging out of their shirts, or that they don't let you touch them inappropriately, what? I am curious to know what you believe constitutes a healthy attitude towards sex for the LDS young woman?

I am sure that LDS perspective towards modesty and immorality is probably different than your mainstream Christian denominations. But in no way constitutes an unhealthy view towards sex.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #56
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
What do you mean much healthier attitudes towards sex in general? The fact that the LDS girls want to wait until they are married, that they don't want their breasts to be hanging out of their shirts, or that they don't let you touch them inappropriately, what? I am curious to know what you believe constitutes a healthy attitude towards sex for the LDS young woman?

I am sure that LDS perspective towards modesty and immorality is probably different than your mainstream Christian denominations. But in no way constitutes an unhealthy view towards sex.
Discord alert.

I find our cultural mores on these issues breed a contempt for sex. What is so shameful about the body that it needs to be confined in burkha like clothing? It's not the clothing but the attitude of the wearer and the percipient.

It is healthy to embrace one's sexuality fully, and to share it with an appropriate person. Anything else is cultural defined to encourage conformity with societal expectations.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #57
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Discord alert.

I find our cultural mores on these issues breed a contempt for sex. What is so shameful about the body that it needs to be confined in burkha like clothing? It's not the clothing but the attitude of the wearer and the percipient.

It is healthy to embrace one's sexuality fully, and to share it with an appropriate person. Anything else is cultural defined to encourage conformity with societal expectations.
Got it. Thank you.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #58
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Discord alert.

Yes, we all know you want the nineteen year olds (except your daughter) to be allowed to wear halter tops and hot pants.

OBGon and Tex have a point, that the teaching itself can lead to healthy sexuality -- perhaps even healthier than mainstream sexuality -- but these lessons have to be approached carefully. Otherwise the Church sends all the wrong messages for the sake of promoting chastity.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #59
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post

Quote:
Yes, we all know you want the nineteen year olds (except your daughter) to be allowed to wear halter tops and hot pants.

OBGon and Tex have a point, that the teaching itself can lead to healthy sexuality -- perhaps even healthier than mainstream sexuality -- but these lessons have to be approached carefully. Otherwise the Church sends all the wrong messages for the sake of promoting chastity.
The message gets too muddled.

We send the message it is better to promote chastity rather to promote healthy sexuality within the confines of chastity. Often our message is chastity is the only goal and healthy sexuality be damned. It seems to me we often get the cart before the horse. We get the chastity message loud and clear. Don't do it. It's the second part which isn't transmitted.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #60
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think even you know what I mean. Like I said, it's what's implicit. It's the connotation -- not the denotation -- of the message that's negative.
Quote:
Tex don't be denser than usual.

Let's simplify it.

Don't have sex, it's baaaad. Some girls thereafter get it programmed, "sex is bad, sex is bad, save it for somebody you love."

Emotional messages are not as nuanced as intellectual messages.
I'm not sure the exceptional proliferation of Mormon children supports your case.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote