cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #51
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So what specifically did he get ex'ed for?
That's a good question. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

I saw him give an interview on TV a few years back. He claimed that he was still a believer.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's a good question. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

I saw him give an interview on TV a few years back. He claimed that he was still a believer.
The Wikipedia page (take it or leave it) says, "Despite his excommunication and his open acknowledgement of his homosexual orientation, Quinn believes in the Latter Day Saint movement, although he is in disagreement with certain policies and doctrines."

Doesn't specify what those are, but I remember reading the same thing. Just because he is "still a believer" (vague definition) doesn't mean he isn't also an apostate. Lost of apostates would still love to be in the church steadying the ark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._Michael_Quinn

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 03-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #53
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The Wikipedia page (take it or leave it) says. "Despite his excommunication and his open acknowledgement of his homosexual orientation, Quinn believes in the Latter Day Saint movement, although he is in disagreement with certain policies and doctrines."

Doesn't specify what those are, but I remember reading the same thing. Just because he is "still a believer" (vague definition) doesn't mean he isn't also an apostate. Lost of apostates would still love to be in the church steadying the ark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._Michael_Quinn
Quinn was one of the infamous "September 6." He was excommunicated for the content of some of his writings, in particular his writings that women were treated better during the time of Joseph Smith than they were treated in the church today.

The September 6 were targeted by Boyd K. Packer who pushed for their excommunication, despite an angry response from President Hinckley who did not support their excommunication. Quinn remains a believer in the church.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #54
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So what specifically did he get ex'ed for?
This article gives a long and detailed summary of the whole affair:

http://www.supportmikequinn.net/biography/

I had read this before but the details were fuzzy. Obviously, his critique of BKP's talk was not well-received. A couple of years later he published an article on post-manifesto polygamy that church leaders (BKP specifically) did not like. At that point he started getting pressure from church leaders to back off. He felt unfairly persecuted and lashed out. He refused to cooperate or defend himself and was eventually exed. (anyway, that is how I read it)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quinn was excommunicated by his peers in his stake was he not?

The blame (or credit) must go to them, and not Boyd Packer. If they believed he shouldn't be excommunicated, they should have acted as such.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #56
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

The blame (or credit) must go to them, and not Boyd Packer. If they believed he shouldn't be excommunicated, they should have acted as such.
Directly, yes. But not until after they were contacted by BKP and instructed to look into his actions. That is why 6 people were all exed at around that month for the same thing.

(How many SPs would NOT excommunicate a person after being asked to by a member of the 12?)
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Quinn was one of the infamous "September 6." He was excommunicated for the content of some of his writings, in particular his writings that women were treated better during the time of Joseph Smith than they were treated in the church today.

The September 6 were targeted by Boyd K. Packer who pushed for their excommunication, despite an angry response from President Hinckley who did not support their excommunication.
Yes, I know who the September 6 are. Once again, Packer becomes CG's bete noire. "Rumor has it ..."

Quote:
Quinn remains a believer in the church.
You people keeping repeating this like it means something.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #58
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Credibility matters.
So are you trying to say that those who dismiss the truth claims of the LDS church have no credibility in writing about its history?

Last edited by Taq Man; 03-12-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #59
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The September 6 were targeted by Boyd K. Packer who pushed for their excommunication, despite an angry response from President Hinckley who did not support their excommunication. Quinn remains a believer in the church.
For those that are interested. I think this is the article that is probably most directly related to his excommunication:

"Mormon Women Have Had the Priesthood Since 1843"

http://www.signaturebookslibrary.org...er17.htm#Woman

Although, pinning it on one single thing is probably not fair. So this article was more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited by pelagius; 03-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #60
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

A snippet from the biography:

Quote:
Three apostles gave orders for my stake president to confiscate my temple recommend. Six years earlier, I had formally notified the First Presidency and the Managing Director of the Church Historical Department about my research on post-Manifesto polygamy and my intention to publish it.17 Now I was told that three apostles believed I was guilty of "speaking evil of the Lord's anointed." The stake president was also instructed "to take further action" against me if this did not "remedy the situation" of my writing controversial Mormon history.

James M. Paramore, the area president who relayed these orders, instructed my stake presidency to tell me that this was a local decision and reflected their own judgment of the state of my church membership. My stake president replied that he was not going to tell me something which was untrue. Instead, the stake presidency informed me how this order came about and how they had resisted the area president for more than two hours. Unlike the area president, my stake president and one of his counselors had already read the Dialogue article. My stake presidency saw nothing in it to justify what they were being required by church headquarters to do to me.

I told my stake president that I would not tell colleagues or friends about this because I did not want to be the center of more publicity. However, I told the stake president that this was an obvious effort to intimidate me from doing history that might "offend the Brethren" (to use Ezra Taft Benson's phrase).18 I didn't feel I should be punished for describing Mormon events which the current general authorities wished had never occurred. I said it was wrong-headed for them to confiscate my temple recommend, and that "I won't be intimidated by anybody."19