cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #51
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The computer polls agreed they were reasonably close to 12th. I don't think they were a top 12 team. I think they were around 20th. Georgia is a top 5 team that essentially had a home game, so the result was a little worse than expected for a 5 vs 20, but not out of reason (see Virginia Tech vs LSU this year).

My logic for their ranking isn't based on their SOS, it's based on how they did given who they played. That's a completely different argument than the SOS-in-a-vacuum crap you go on ad nauseum.
"essentially a home game"? I missed that the first time. That's classic!

I thought for sure that game was in Louisiana. Didn't realize it was New Orleans, Georgia
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'm going to create a list of CG football discussion "Murphy's Law" style rules of thumb.

Rule #1: All discussions about SOS will eventually invoke BYU 1984.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #53
Judge Smails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm going to create a list of CG football discussion "Murphy's Law" style rules of thumb.

Rule #1: All discussions about SOS will eventually invoke BYU 1984.
Rule #2: If you have no testimony and/or you like to belittle those who do, you might enjoy the religion forum
Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #54
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Judge Smails;169414] But a schedule as abysmal as Hawaii's should not be rewarded. QUOTE]

Hawaii's schedule is not entirely their fault. They had Michigan State on thier schedule this year but MSU "pulled a Nevada" backed out of coming to UH.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index....ed_hawaii.html

So UH went to Michigan since they had an open date, and offered to come play at the Big House since they already had 6 home games. Michigan said thanks but no thanks and played app. state instead.

If Hawaii did not at least try and schedule better teams, I would be all over them about their schedule. When I learned the facts about how they tried and failed to get a decent schedule this year it makes me more sympathetic to their program.

You would have "the powers that be" keep UH out of the BCS due to their crappy schedule. If you are going to punish Hawaii, I would say that you should inflict BCS schools that refuse to schedule good non bcs teams with equal punishment.

Last edited by Flystripper; 01-03-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #55
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
"essentially a home game"? I missed that the first time. That's classic!

I thought for sure that game was in Louisiana. Didn't realize it was New Orleans, Georgia
Who do you think the bulk of the fans were rooting for? It wasn't Hawaii.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #56
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I chose my avatar based on the people I have to deal with on this site.
The people you have to deal with? You mean to say that your employer has instructed you to spend so many of your paid work hours on this site?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #57
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
The people you have to deal with? You mean to say that your employer has instructed you to spend so many of your paid work hours on this site?
I don't work by the hour, I work by the project. You work by the hour? Sucks to be you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #58
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By the way, I can't believe there are still some. Talk about your smoking gun.

You guys seem to point to Illinois as evidence that Hawaii belonged in the BCS. To be fair, with the 2-team per conference limit you're scraping the barrel to come up with 10 great teams to play the 5 bowl games - if Hawaii wasn't in, you'd probably have been looking at Boston College or Arizona St. Clearly those teams were more deserving than Hawaii though.

I'm curious though, what you believe Hawaii would have accomplished with this schedule:
Sorry, Judge, I'm still one. The point is, they didn't play "this schedule". They played the one they were given, and they beat every one of the teams on it. Flystripper puts it very well ---

[QUOTE=Flystripper;169502]
Quote:
But a schedule as abysmal as Hawaii's should not be rewarded. QUOTE]

Hawaii's schedule is not entirely their fault. They had Michigan State on thier schedule this year but MSU "pulled a Nevada" backed out of coming to UH.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index....ed_hawaii.html

So UH went to Michigan since they had an open date, and offered to come play at the Big House since they already had 6 home games. Michigan said thanks but no thanks and played app. state instead.

If Hawaii did not at least try and schedule better teams, I would be all over them about their schedule. When I learned the facts about how they tried and failed to get a decent schedule this year it makes me more sympathetic to their program.

You would have "the powers that be" keep UH out of the BCS due to their crappy schedule. If you are going to punish Hawaii, I would say that you should inflict BCS schools that refuse to schedule good non bcs teams with equal punishment.
Was BYU the best team in the land in 1984? Probably not. But I'm not so sure Clemson was the best team in the land in 1981, and they won the national championship that year. There were a set of rules (some formal, others more unformal and unwritten) that go to determining the mythical national championship, and BYU met the requirements, just as Clemson did in '81, and Georgia did in '83. My problem is that many of the "powers that be" wanted to change the rules in BYU's case, because they didn't like the results. Same with Hawaii. They played every one they were scheduled to play, and in both cases, the rules should be applied 1) consistently, and 2) in such a way to ensure all Division I teams have a legitimate chance to play for the national championship, as long as they win. And Hawaii did that. I didn't think they were all that good, but my opinion (and yours) should count for squat. They won, and what more can they do?
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #59
Judge Smails

Quote:
So, does the 20th best team in the country deserve a BCS spot, if it's reserved for them if they finish in the top 12? This is the crux of this 5 page argument.

Tread lightly here. We may be coming to an agreement.
Somehow I didn't see the answer to this question Indy, which is amazing, since I've never seen you miss posting on anything.

Are you dodging?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #60
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So, does the 20th best team in the country deserve a BCS spot, if it's reserved for them if they finish in the top 12? This is the crux of this 5 page argument.

Tread lightly here. We may be coming to an agreement.
Allow me to respond on his behalf:

You can change your settings so that 40 posts appear on one page. Thus this is only a 2 page argument, and by no means a long one by CG standards.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote