cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #51
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Lingo, apparently, has taken the last train to the coast, so is no longer here.
Is he one of the three men you admire most?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #52
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Just curious how I got to the point of being labeled a 'mullah'. Sure, I agree with much of what those three post, but I don't think I've ever condemned anyone to an eternity of hellfire & brimstone lately....

Not since my return from my mission, and telling my family they were all going to hell. I attribute that to post-mission weirdness.
To me you get to be a mullah by doing three things:

1. Believing the orthodox position on all issues and
2. Not recognizing any ambiguity as existing on any of those issues and
3. Acting like 1 and 2 ought to be obvious to all but those who don't have testimonies.

Last edited by UtahDan; 04-20-2008 at 12:22 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
To me you get to be a mullah by doing three things:

1. Believing the orthodox position on all issues and
2. Not recognizing any ambiguity as existing on any of those issues and
3. Acting like 1 and 2 ought to be obvious to all but those who don't have testimonies.
That's a very nice definition, actually. Not sure it fits anyone who posts here, however.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #54
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's a very nice definition, actually. Not sure it fits anyone who posts here, however.
I don't either. Though it may. At least it is a reference point. I think some at least approach it.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:23 AM   #55
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Deciding to build a conference center that fits the needs of the church was a miracle. Deciding to offer educational assistance to returned missionaries from third world countries was a miracle. Wiggling ears was a miracle.

We don't need no stinking mountains moved, dead raised, devils cast out, walking on water, dead raised directly and immediately up from their sick beds and the like.

Today we have miraculous administrative decisions and that is enough. Miracles indeed!
Adam, your line of reasoning here is offensive. Even worse, it is the type of simple-minded tripe that I would expect from ashaf, not from you. This is embarrassing.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #56
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Deciding to build a conference center that fits the needs of the church was a miracle. Deciding to offer educational assistance to returned missionaries from third world countries was a miracle. Wiggling ears was a miracle.

We don't need no stinking mountains moved, dead raised, devils cast out, walking on water, dead raised directly and immediately up from their sick beds and the like.

Today we have miraculous administrative decisions and that is enough. Miracles indeed!
BTW, that ear-wiggling comment was a real cheap shot. There is a fine line between being provocative and just being an asshole.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #57
UtahDan

Quote:
Ok, I'll stop.

But you have noticed that no one is willing to take on Mormon's positions on miracles and the modern church's dearth of miracles. It is a real problem IMHO. We ignore Mormon or we redefine miracle to mean something other than what Mormon meant.

The question in this thread was how one would know if there had occurred an apostasy. It is a serious answer to cite Mormon on miracles. Applying Mormon's test to today's church is troublesome.

Other than rolling over and pulling the pillow tight around your head, how do you evaluate this issue?

Anyone?
We discussed this a little a while back.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...light=miracles
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #58
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do amiracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should btrust.
Adam, did you ever consider looking in the mirror?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #59
midnightversion

midnightversion is on a distinguished road
Default John Taylor said that at the time of the seventh President

(Heber J. Grant) that the Church would fall into apostacy and that whoredoms would run rampant in it.

Incidentally, according to Fundamentalists, Heber J. Grant rejected Lorin Woolley's offer (who was the keyholder at that time, being ordained a High Apostle by John Taylor in Sept. of 1886) to ordain him Pres. of the Church.
midnightversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #60
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

A couple of items:

First, I'm not sure who surrendered the definition of miracles to Adam, or why no one is challenging his divination of Mormon's intent. Beyond speaking of the ministry of angels, Mormon gives no other clue as to what specific types of miracles "count" as evidencing the true faith, though he does ask: "Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them?" To which it is easy, of course, to answer with a resounding no.

Moreover, as it concerns the ministry of angels, Mormon uses language in verses 31 and 32 very reminiscent of the gifts of the Spirit in D&C 46:13-14. I think those two pairs of scriptures combine nicely to fit an image of angels miraculously appearing to the "chosen vessels"--ie, the prophets--who then declare it to the "residue of men"--ie, us. This is exactly the pattern the restoration of the church followed.

Second, I have seen miracles. Not just the kind that Adam will dismiss with his narrow definition ... such as the mighty change of heart. Just a few weeks ago we had a 19-year-old young man who had a mere 6 months earlier declared he would not serve a mission, tearfully relate his personal conversion to the gospel. The examples of other young men around him, combined with a healthy dose of the spirit, made him see the value in faithful Church service, and he quietly voiced his personal commitment to go. That, my friends, is a miracle.

But I have seen others. "Legitimate" miracles, to bastardize the term. I have seen people healed by the power of the priesthood and the power of faith. I have witnessed the gift of tongues. I have heard personal prophecy spoken and seen it fulfilled. To say we are not a church of miracles is to walk in darkness at noonday.

Third, as has been noted, many miracles are not spoken of. Times have changed since the early days of the restoration when such things were spoken of much more openly, and this is for particular good reason: Satan has become very adept at manufacturing counterfeit spiritual experiences. I wrote about this here.

Quoting myself in part:

Quote:
I think [the adversary] has done an excellent job of manufacturing ephiphanies in an effort to confuse the spiritually inexperienced. From Jim Jones to Jimmy Swaggart, Oral Roberts to Pat Robertson, we have a smorgasbord of spiritual manifestations that run the gamut.

It seems wisdom to me that the Lord distinguishes his church from the cacophony, rather than having Gordon try and shout one decibel louder, "No, I have seen the Lord!"
Elder Packer once told some mission presidents, when their missionaries had special spiritual experiences, that such experiences "were not to be made currency of."

We are a church of miracles, great and small. If some want to climb a flight or two into the great and spacious, point their fingers and mock, that is their right. But it doesn't void the wonders that are worked each and every day by a loving God in response to his faithful Saints.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-21-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote