cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #51
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Translation: polygamy sucks.
so does life ! when there is no wisdom and no fairness..

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 09-18-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right, it's an anecdote. My grandma grew up in the polygamous colonies of northern Mexico, and it was her experience that the women hated polygamy.

So use some solid data to convince me that women like(d) polygamy.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #53
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
You stated that older women like polygamy. I was wondering if there was any evidence to back that up, other than a strange religion professor's comment.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #54
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You stated that older women like polygamy. I was wondering if there was any evidence to back that up, other than a strange religion professor's comment.
I think his experience has been that some older women have less of a problem with polygamy than when they were younger, probably because sex (around which the idea of polygamy seems to revolve) is not nearly as mysterious and exciting. Most women, said he, know sisters who are single their entire lives (or themselves are), and some of these decide that the possibility of giving them a husband and a family, even were it to mean sharing theirs, would be a noble idea.

Conversely, some men, once married and fathers, tend to grow more reluctant on the idea of polygamy because, like for women, the excitement of sex has given way to the realities of living with a wife. The idea of trying to manage relationships with more than one becomes unpalatable.

These are just anecdotally-based hypotheses that generally ring true for me. I have no data to back them up. I don't know if data even exists on such.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #55
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Go read the polygamy blog at the Salt Lake Tribune. Study up on Centenial Park or the Apostolic United Brethren. There is a blog about polygamy from a plural wife who belongs to Centeniel Park on the blog that presents it in a very favorable light. I have spoken with members of AUB and they claim that the amount of young girls in their faith that choose polygamy overwhelms the amount of young boys by a multiple of 2-3. Apparantly, the young girls see security and consistency in the model and the young men are scared of it to death as it requires a hell of a lot of money to support 2-3 famalies.

The reality is that there are "normal folks" who practice it in silence and since they don't marry off 13 year olds to their cousins, it gets no attention. These people are stepping out of the shadow and eventually their advocation of it will lead to social acceptance, IMO.

There are certainly challenges affiliated with it and I have no interest in those challenges, but I can certainly see how it would help to facilitate Godlike virtues.

Speaking of Polygs, I do love that polyg house and household along Bangerter right off I-15 in Sandy/Draper/Riverton area just on the west side of the Jordan River. I take that exit to head out to Eagle Mountain. That homestead has its own baseball field, tennis courts, pasture and whatnot. I think that might be Joe Darger's, kid from polyg family who went to UNLV on a hoops scholarship and has since been baptized into the LDS Church, family.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #56
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
so does life ! when there is no wisdom and no fairness..
Or if Religious leaders make it illegal to get breast augmentations. Or is that why you wealthy middle eastern chicks wear such baggy burquah's after a "medical visit" to your liberal Asian or European friends?

You are becoming "Americanized" and you don't even know it yet!