cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be very interesting for Tex to fully explain his theory that instead of imperfect men, we have an imperfect God. Who institutes a racist theory and then has his prophets lie about the reasons to the people.

That's basically what it has come down to. There is no way around it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I might have misspoken--I do understand and believe that DOM prayed. But he was a racist and not likely to get an answer--
What a bunch of crap. Are you really hoping for merciful final judgment when you make such condemning assesments of prophets of God (DOM racist, HBL killed by God for disobedience, etc.)?

What a pompous SOB.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What a bunch of crap. Are you really hoping for merciful final judgment when you make such condemning assesments of prophets of God (DOM racist, HBL killed by God for disobedience, etc.)?

What a pompous SOB.
You obviously have a different conception of God (and men) than Adam.

Your God will judge Adam harshly.

Adam's God will not.

I would recommend that you do as your particular God sees fit. I will do the same.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #54
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And if they sought it so diligently, why would God not be willing to grant it? If the ban was only mere policy, capable of being changed sans Godly consultation, why were the men who asked rebuffed?
The logical answer is that they weren't rebuffed, that, just as was the case with polygamy, God had no hand in either the implementation or the elimination of the practice. Which isn't to say they necessarily lied about receiving revelation. It's entirely possible that prophets and apostles sincerely went to God in prayer and mistakenly felt God was green-lighting their misguided policies. Let's face it, a person can receive any answer to any prayer offered if they want that answer bad enough.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #55
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Your God will judge Adam harshly.

Adam's God will not.
You mean like Adam's impassioned pleas on behalf of the Tonga brothers?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #56
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for the work, it is good to see the facts. I thought the architect story was unique--thank you for reminding me of the reported comment to the secretaries.

The architect story differs from the others (except the secretaries story) in that it is the only recorded instance of God telling a Prophet to continue the ban. All the other instances you talk about refer to DOM praying about it without reference to an answer. I might have misspoken--I do understand and believe that DOM prayed. But he was a racist and not likely to get an answer--reference my previously cited quote from SWK about not getting revelations unless we want them.
You're really reaching now. I see that when backed into a corner with facts, your assertions just get wilder.

Quote:
So we have two instances where we are told DOM received an answer to his prayer and the answer was a clear and direct "No, don't give blacks the priesthood". That detailed instance is the architect story. I had forgotten the comment to some secretaries. I still don't believe it is true that God was at the helm of that policy.
Then you are guilty of the same stubborn intransigence of which you accuse them. Facts apparently don't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The logical answer is that they weren't rebuffed, that, just as was the case with polygamy, God had no hand in either the implementation or the elimination of the practice. Which isn't to say they necessarily lied about receiving revelation. It's entirely possible that prophets and apostles sincerely went to God in prayer and mistakenly felt God was green-lighting their misguided policies. Let's face it, a person can receive any answer to any prayer offered if they want that answer bad enough.
I happen to believe prophets have an evolved ability to discern answers from God. And since you really don't believe in it anyway, why are you opining on how it works?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You mean like Adam's impassioned pleas on behalf of the Tonga brothers?
He borrowed your God for a day.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #58
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex - you forgot to highlight all the parts in your quotes that refer to the denial of the priesthood to blacks as "policy" and "practice" - I thought you were saying it was doctrine rather than simply policy or practice. Your position certainly implies that it was doctrine.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #59
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The white flag has gone up, the battle is over.
Like when you retreated into your "lying for the Lord/too racist to get an answer" duplex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Tex - you forgot to highlight all the parts in your quotes that refer to the denial of the priesthood to blacks as "policy" and "practice" - I thought you were saying it was doctrine rather than simply policy or practice. Your position certainly implies that it was doctrine.
It was certainly policy. I don't know that it was doctrine. Certainly some leaders taught it like doctrine, although I don't think there's evidence to suggest that it was the "official" position of the church.

But on the other hand, I don't think doctrine is as immovable as it seems some of the leaders did in the DOM book. The laws of God are complex, and he supercedes them as he sees fit. I'm not sure why that's a big deal.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote