cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #51
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Maybe it's just that I don't live in Utah, but another lesson in PR I've learned is, if your opponent's voice is a whole lot smaller than yours, be careful when and how you choose to speak.
While true, I believe our opponent in this isn't just the antis but all of those who have taken up their belief that Mormons are racist. I was in Philly this time last year and the predominant belief was that "Mormons are racist."

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #52
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So this is just a raw score, not adjusted for age, race, education, or income?

How useful is that, in your opinion?
I imagine that LDS will skew younger than the average of the other group. I also imagine that education will be similar but slightly higher than the other group. I bet income is a wash. I imagine the percentage is inversely correlated with each of these covariates. This would mean that the survey probably under estimates "segregation propensity" relative to other groups. I doubt it would have a huge effect but I could be wrong.

Last edited by pelagius; 01-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
While true, I believe our opponent in this isn't just the antis but all of those who have taken up their belief that Mormons are racist. I was in Philly this time last year and the predominant belief was that "Mormons are racist."
Come on, now K-dog, let's be fair here. The "predominant" belief? How'd you get that sample?

I've lived all over the country and worked with a lot of different kinds of folks, and I've never been told I was a racist, or that Mormons were racist (except on CG, ironically). Not saying they don't exist, but let's be realistic about these vast generalizations.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #54
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I noticed that Mitt Romney called out Mike Huckabee for defending the use of the confederate flag. Oh wait, Mitt didn't. Never mind. He was too busy saying we should kick out all the illegal Mexicans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Example:

LDS
72-80: 30% either agreed strongly or slightly agreed that whites have a right to segregated neighborhoods
81-88: 20%
89-96: 10%

Other:
72-80: 37%
81-88: 23%
89-96: 17%
10, 20 and 30 percent. did they interview 10 people?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #56
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Come on, now K-dog, let's be fair here. The "predominant" belief? How'd you get that sample?

I've lived all over the country and worked with a lot of different kinds of folks, and I've never been told I was a racist, or that Mormons were racist (except on CG, ironically). Not saying they don't exist, but let's be realistic about these vast generalizations.
Wow, Tex, they didn't tell you these things to your face? Weird.

I'm betting this whole Romney thing has been a real eye-opener to a lot of Mormons. "Everyone I meet says they like Mormons, how come 35% wouldn't vote for one, and the approval rate of Mormonism is just a shade better than Islam?" LOL. This is the case of Mormons wanting to be loved.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #57
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, Tex, they didn't tell you these things to your face? Weird.
Your sarcasm unwittingly illustrates my point. Why we shouln't feel obligated to explain ourselves to folks who are themselves afraid to come out with (allegedly) such opinions is exactly what I'm getting at.

Small voices. Don't magnify them.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #58
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
One explanation could be that much of the US's LDS population is centered in the west - an area historically less racist than the rest of the country (for a variety of reasons).
I think that is likely to be an important explanatory variable. It could be that relative to other rocky mountain populations that Mormons don't stack up very well. On the other hand, Mormons have very few minorities which probably tend to make up a non-trivial part of the OTHER group and I would think minorities in general would have very low seggregation propensities. Thus not all potential control variable cut the wrong direction.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #59
pelagius

Quote:
10, 20 and 30 percent. did they interview 10 people?
Yes
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #60
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think that is likely to be an important explanatory variable. It could be that relative to other rocky mountain populations that Mormons don't stack up very well. On the other hand, Mormons have very few minorities which probably tend to make up a non-trivial part of the OTHER group and I would think minorities in general would have very low seggregation propensities. Thus not all potential control variable cut the wrong direction.
I guess there is reason to believe that the group least likely to vote for a black politician is the Hispanics.

Racism cuts in all directions.

I've never heard of "black flight" however. I wonder if it exists. LOL.

I do know that there is tremendous resentment when white people gentrify poor black neighborhoods.