cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #51
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm worried about Indy and Tex so casually discarding the prophet's example. As for me and my house, we will follow the prophet.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #52
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm worried about Indy and Tex so casually discarding the prophet's example. As for me and my house, we will follow the prophet.
He apologized for slavery?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #53
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Mullah.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

how do you do that multi quote thing? You can either tell me know or in 100 years, your descendants will wind up telling my descendants and also will have to apologize.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I'm not a fan of the idea that we need to keep race struggles in the public consciousness. I'm not advocating historical amnesia; we need to remember the past, if just to avoid making the same mistakes over and over.

But I don't think we can ever heal as a nation if we keep picking at the scab of slavery. Looking at the scar is not the same as ripping the stitches open over and over again, if that analogy makes any sense.
OK, so I will indulge...how do you propose that we, as a nation, remember the past, but do so without keeping the past in the public conscience?

I get your scab analogy, but is that really what we are doing? Seems like at this point, if an overwhelming majority of AA's would feel a measure of happiness and validation via a government issued apology over a very real historical tragedy, then what is the harm in supporting such an apology?

I guess I dont get those that are so obstinate.....what for? Isnt that what the Gospel is all about? Nobody was ever in the wrong for apologizing and showing some humility.

Our country allowed slavery. It also threw Japanese people into internment camps out of fear....xenophobia....whatever you want to call it.

An apology will NOT change any of that. But it wouldnt hurt and it certainly would provide at least a measure of social healing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #56
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
how do you do that multi quote thing? You can either tell me know or in 100 years, your descendants will wind up telling my descendants and also will have to apologize.
Wrap each individual quote in {quote}{/quote} tags, where { is a [.

Example:

Quote:
{quote="BYU71"}
The honor code is crap.
{quote}

Yes, 71, we know you feel that way. Give it a rest.

{quote}
I also think cheerleaders who are 60 years younger than me are hot.
{/quote}

That creeps me out.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #57
TripletDaddy

Quote:
OK, so I will indulge...how do you propose that we, as a nation, remember the past, but do so without keeping the past in the public conscience?
Wow, this is an amazing point, DDD!

Quote:
I get your scab analogy, but is that really what we are doing? Seems like at this point, if an overwhelming majority of AA's would feel a measure of happiness and validation via a government issued apology over a very real historical tragedy, then what is the harm in supporting such an apology?
Pwned. Good one, DDD.

Quote:
I guess I dont get those that are so obstinate.....what for? Isnt that what the Gospel is all about? Nobody was ever in the wrong for apologizing and showing some humility.
You are very wise, DDD. And correct.

Quote:
Our country allowed slavery. It also threw Japanese people into internment camps out of fear....xenophobia....whatever you want to call it.
BYU71 did not know the definition of "xenophobia," DDD. Thanks for clarifying the other day.

Quote:
An apology will NOT change any of that. But it wouldnt hurt and it certainly would provide at least a measure of social healing.
POTD!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #58
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Assigning blame is picking at the scab, in my opinion. Equating whites today with whites from 150 years ago is picking at the scab.

Discussing the horrors of slavery and the effects on race relations today is looking at the scar, in my opinion.

Quote:
Who is the apology directed at? All descendants, past, future, and present, of slaves for all time and all eternity? Call my stupid, but I think even if those living today who had ancestor slaves are negatively impacted by slavery, eventually there won't be a soul alive who has any negative effects of it.

Quote:

I don't see how, to be honest. If someone killed my great-great-great-great grandpa, an apology from that person's great-great-great-great grandson doesn't do anything for me. I don't care.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #59
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
He apologized for slavery?
No, but he expressed appreciation and noted the positive affect that a formal apology could have on the descendents of those who suffered an injustice. This attitude was later affirmed when the church formally apologized for the MMM. directed both to the families of the victims and the Paiutes.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #60
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh really? The prophet cheers for the Utes.

Follow that, pal.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote