cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #51
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm gratified that Tex has tried to alter what Benson said to make him seem more rational rather than defending what he really did say. That's a step toward enlightenment, I'd say.
I don't know that it necessarily needs defending. It is an opinion, nothing more. And he could be right, though I don't believe it for a second. But it sure is amusing watching Tex try to spin it to sound like there is no chance Benson said what he appears to have said.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:21 AM   #52
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't know that it necessarily needs defending. It is an opinion, nothing more. And he could be right, though I don't believe it for a second. But it sure is amusing watching Tex try to spin it to sound like there is no chance Benson said what he appears to have said.
I think given the body of comments Benson made on the topic, there is exactly zero chance that he believed God stuck the words into the founders' heads. And I have no evidence to support it, but I'd wager you'd find exactly zero faithful LDS church history scholars who'd back you up.

But you go on thinking that. No one else appears to be paying attention to this thread anyway, which should be some indication to you of how much people care about the topic at all.

Last edited by Tex; 04-25-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #53
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think given the body of comments Benson made on the topic, there is exactly zero chance that he believed God stuck the words into the founders' heads. And I have no evidence to support it, but I'd wager you'd find exactly zero faithful LDS church history scholars who'd back you up.

But you go on thinking that. No one else appears to be paying attention to this thread anyway, which should be some indication to you of how much people care about the topic at all.
I noticed people lost interest. It was about the time Tex got involved...

Zero evidence to support your claim? Sounds about right.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #54
Tex

Quote:
I noticed people lost interest. It was about the time Tex got involved...
Yeah, your topic is kinda boring.

Quote:
Zero evidence to support your claim? Sounds about right.
Every conversation anyone has with you seems to turn into a personal fist fight. Do you ever argue issues? Nope. Sounds about right.

Later, hoya.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #55
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am still reading.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #56
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

So we have Tex saying Benson didn't opine that the Founding Fathers received dictated verbatin inspiration for the text of the US Constitution?

Well, although I don't agree with the opinion, it is difficult to argue Benson didn't believe that.

My personal belief is that God inspires mankind to notions and principles of justice, morality and liberty, which men through culture and education inculcate into their governments. The words which are verbatim inserted into the formative and gestational autographs are not necessarily inspired, but rather the results of man's understanding of the concepts being put to words by man.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #57
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So we have Tex saying Benson didn't opine that the Founding Fathers received dictated verbatin inspiration for the text of the US Constitution?

Well, although I don't agree with the opinion, it is difficult to argue Benson didn't believe that.

My personal belief is that God inspires mankind to notions and principles of justice, morality and liberty, which men through culture and education inculcate into their governments. The words which are verbatim inserted into the formative and gestational autographs are not necessarily inspired, but rather the results of man's understanding of the concepts being put to words by man.
For once, we agree 100%.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #58
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I suppose it's my fault for allowing hoya to back me into a corner supposedly defending Benson's comments. He certainly doesn't need me to "defend" him, and frankly I couldn't care less what hoya thinks the comments really mean.

Your final paragraph, while a bit wordy, pretty much describes my view of inspired writings. The Constitution, just like many other scriptural and non-scriptural texts, represents the attempts of imperfect beings to cloak concepts with words. There are very few passages in ANY inspired text that I consider dictated verbatim from the mouth of God, and I think that's consistent with Mormon doctrine.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #59
Cali Coug

Quote:
I suppose it's my fault for allowing hoya to back me into a corner supposedly defending Benson's comments. He certainly doesn't need me to "defend" him, and frankly I couldn't care less what hoya thinks the comments really mean.

Your final paragraph, while a bit wordy, pretty much describes my view of inspired writings. The Constitution, just like many other scriptural and non-scriptural texts, represents the attempts of imperfect beings to cloak concepts with words. There are very few passages in ANY inspired text that I consider dictated verbatim from the mouth of God, and I think that's consistent with Mormon doctrine.
For someone who doesn't care at all about the topic, and who doesn't care at all about my thoughts, you certainly spend a lot of your time posting in this thread.

I didn't back you into a corner at all. You did that all on your own.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #60
Tex

Quote:
I didn't back you into a corner at all. You did that all on your own.
*Shrug* Whatever.

Last edited by Tex; 04-25-2007 at 04:09 PM.