cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #61
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, I think you are missing the point. Of course, no movie is going to have the same impact on a viewer as said viewer having his or her head blown off. That's a silly standard to hold. The point is, the movie presents the reality of the invasion. I.e., as if you were viewing it in real-time. No artificial softening it up in order to not offend someone's delicate nature. IMO, showing a realistic and honest depiction of the battle honors those who had to endure it.
I couldn't agree more. Though I hesistate to share my personal experience while seeing this movie, I will anyway.

Before the movie was released there was a lot of concern as to what kind of impact the graphic and realistic brutality was going to have on the WWII veterans who experienced this. I remember even a 1-800 number being set up for those who might be traumatized by watching it. Especially for the first 25 minutes of the movie.

I went and saw the movie with one of my older brothers and a friend. To our surprise in that same theater there were a handful of WW II vets in the same theater with us and one of them was sitting right in front of me, just 2 seats to the right and he was with another WW II Vet.

For those who haven't seen the movie, I apologize for spoiling certain aspects of it, but near the end when Tom Hanks character lay on the bridge with life seeping out of his body, and Private Ryan (Matt Damon's character) leans in to hear what the dying words of Hanks are and ...he whispers..."Earn this....earn this" into his ears. And then the camera going back to a tear filled Damon and then going back to modern day as he's in the graveyard in France staring at the Headstone of Captain John Miller...the same man who whispered those words into his ear.

It was interesting because after he tells his wife...."Tell me I'm a good man...tell me I've lived a good life." As he backs up and salutes the gravestone, one of the most touching experiences of my life occured as in the theater.....one of the WW II Vets sitting in front of us, actually stood up in the theater and saluted the screen. Then his friend and the other WWII vet sitting stood up and did the same thing. We turned around and the other WWII Vets in the theater gradually stood up and they all did the same thing.

I'll admit at that point the tears were flowing and my brother was blubbering incoherently. As the flag is on the screen and the movie fades to black.....and we began to exit the theater you could've heard a pin drop. Total and complete silence.

I saw one of the WW II vets standing just outside theather with his flight jacket and cap on, hands in his pockets, standing hunched over, and he'd been wiping away tears from his eyes. I went over and gave this old man a huge hug and thanked him for his sacrifice. I cried the whole way home.

Sure it was only a movie and others can mock my reaction and experience I had, but to me and to this day, at least to me, I consider it a sacred experience and one I'm grateful for.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-24-2007 at 10:34 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #62
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Sure it was only a movie and others can mock my reaction and experience I had, but to me and to this day, at least to me, I consider it a sacred experience and one I'm grateful for.
I think it is a great story. Thanks for sharing that personal experience.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #63
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think it is a great story. Thanks for sharing that personal experience.
Very touching in a Paul H. Dunn sort of way.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #64
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

I agree. This is a classic - I've seen it maybe 2 dozen times and never get tired of it (and my wife never tires of Russell Crowe).

My biggest gripe is the fairly ridiculous talk of the Senate as representatives of the people, as well as Commodus murdering M.A. Commodus ruled as co-emperor for several years before M.A. died, so there would have been no need for him to assassinate his way to the top (indeed, the more likely scenario would have been for successful general Maximus to assassinate the emperor and march on Rome).

The layout of the city, the battle scene at the beginning, the costumes, the "citizen ring," the little ancestor dolls that Maximus prays to - all of that is pretty legit, as far as we know. Plus, Commodus did have a creepy crush on his sister and scandalously appeared as a gladiator in the arena, fighting against opponents that had already been seriously wounded.

It's a bit hyperbolic to think that so many gladiators died in each bout (they were expensive, so it was pointless to kill them off so quickly unless the emperor was trying to be really extravagant).

Of all the fairly recent movies centered in the ancient world (Troy, 300, Alexander), Gladiator is by far the best (IMO).
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #65
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Very touching in a Paul H. Dunn sort of way.
Was he lying about it? Or does he just live in Alpine?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #66
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

This violent scene concludes the Aeneid.
Aeneid 945-952 (trans. Williams)

Aeneas' eyes took sure and slow survey
of spoils that were the proof and memory
of cruel sorrow; then with kindling rage
and terrifying look, he cried, “Wouldst thou,
clad in a prize stripped off my chosen friend,
escape this hand? In this thy mortal wound
't is Pallas has a victim; Pallas takes
the lawful forfeit of thy guilty blood!”
He said, and buried deep his furious blade
in the opposer's heart. The failing limbs
sank cold and helpless; and the vital breath
with moan of wrath to darkness fled away.

Best action ending ever, although the end of the Iliad is moving for entirely different reasons.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #67
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Of all the fairly recent movies centered in the ancient world (Troy, 300, Alexander), Gladiator is by far the best (IMO).
No question. It's not close.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 AM   #68
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ashland, Oregon was on the map way before Breakin. Have you never attened their wonderful Shakespeare Festival?
Oh yes. Ashland had the theater scene covered. But you haven't lived until you've seen 2 pasty white Ashlanders pop lockin' their hearts out in a mano a mano contest winner take...well nothing really.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #69
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Oh yes. Ashland had the theater scene covered. But you haven't lived until you've seen 2 pasty white Ashlanders pop lockin' their hearts out in a mano a mano contest winner take...well nothing really.
One question: cardboard or linoleum?

Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #70
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One question: cardboard or linoleum?
It was straight up cardboard. They were hardcore.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote