cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #61
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have noticed that the older female partners at my firm are almost, without exception, all stereotypical b*****s.....at least the ones I have met. Don't get me wrong...they are all extremely intelligent, capable, they bring in lots of revenue, they are strong leaders, etc.....but they are not well-liked, often difficult to work with, and sometimes nasty.

The younger female partners not so much...I mean the women that are in their late 30s, early 40s.

I chalk it up to a product of their times. The older female partners had to shatter the glass ceiling in the post-Womens Lib era. I would imagine that in order to prove themselves in the boys club, they had to show these hard characteristics to gain the respect of their male peers. After behaving in such a manner for so long, it just becomes how you operate professionally.

The newer female partners are benefitting from the path that was blazed before them by the b*****s, so there is less of a need to be hyper-aggressive to prove your mettle. I am not suggesting that barriers are eliminated, but I do think it is likely much better now for women in the workplace than it was in the 70s and 80s.
I'm responding solely to say that I pretty much reject all of this except the part aout older women having to overcome a lot.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #62
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The restriction on audio visuals has been inplace for a long time. The one about not asking others to open sriptures was new to me.
I have been told the latter before, but I don't remember it coming via official FP correspondence.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #63
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I want a fiery prophet; a grumpy apostle. We insist that they're not perfect, but when we pick up the scent of their imperfections, we pounce.

I say, Give 'em hell Tommy!
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #64
HighHorse

HighHorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have it on good authority that President Monson was out of control at the Jazz playoff games....talking trash to the opposing players, yelling at Sloan on the bench, taunting the refs, calling for Boozer to be traded, etc.
He touched Jerry. You don't touch Jerry, I don't care who you are.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #65
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If they post on here and make stupid comments like Requiem (assuming "she" was actually a woman)? No.

If they happen to be guilty of nothing more than being married to a public figure but do nothing to draw attention to themselves? Yes.
Aha. Does that mean you are going to apologize for your comment about Mary Todd Lincoln?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #66
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

You know what? I am okay with President Monson being as described. I like a guy that can be personable and intimate but also handle the business when he needs to. That's the way I hope to be perceived someday.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #67
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm responding solely to say that I pretty much reject all of this except the part aout older women having to overcome a lot.
What part are you rejecting? The reputations of some of the older female partners at my firm or the fact that the older generation help pave the way for younger female partners?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #68
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
But the interesting insight to me was what the SIL said about Pres. Monson. I had mentioned that he seems so laid back, that maybe he shies away from the stuff like in the recent letters, relying on Elder Packer. He said that he'd had a conversation with the SIL that suggests something else. The SIL commented that Pres. Monson has a huge temper - he said he'd seen him, in the few minutes before conference started, just screaming, red-faced and all, at someone about something.
I know well-placed people who have had personal dealings with Monson who have expressed essentially the same thing about his personality.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #69
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
He touched Jerry. You don't touch Jerry, I don't care who you are.
I remember waiting to catch a plane back to SLC several years ago. Jerry was waiting to catch the same plane. His body language did not invite others to come and make stupid small talk about the jazz.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #70
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know that I have ever screamed at anyone, red-faced. At least not in many years.

I guess I don't have a temper like that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote