cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #61
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I don't know if this post is real or hypothetical, but it makes me very sad. The reaction that Guest received was pretty far down among the ranking of helpful, edifying ones. Why would anyone turn to a clergy for help if he were running the risk of being "turned over" to the authorities. Good gracious.

This is why I made a rule of never telling anyone when I screwed up (literally or figuratively).
Well, when you think about it, this can keep the Bishop from being too busy. People are scared to talk to him. And heaven knows most of them are busy enough with their jobs and family that full-time counseling would be almost impossible.

It's probably harder to confess to a long-time friend acting as a "judge in Israel" than it would to a professional clergyman who doesn't even know what the word "excommunication" means. Oh well, that is the system we have. We excommunicate, we disfellowship, we make it so members will be shamed in public when they are called on to pray and have to tell everyone that they cannot (because the Bishop doesn't allow it). I didn't know this before: but apparently a Bishop can also have a person not participate in any discussions (for example Sunday School). Which makes it every awkward when the Sunday School teacher asks that person a question.

I don't have the answer. It's a system. We muddle through it. Some bishops handle it one way, some another. God help us all.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, when you think about it, this can keep the Bishop from being too busy. People are scared to talk to him. And heaven knows most of them are busy enough with their jobs and family that full-time counseling would be almost impossible.

It's probably harder to confess to a long-time friend acting as a "judge in Israel" than it would to a professional clergyman who doesn't even know what the word "excommunication" means. Oh well, that is the system we have. We excommunicate, we disfellowship, we make it so members will be shamed in public when they are called on to pray and have to tell everyone that they cannot (because the Bishop doesn't allow it). I didn't know this before: but apparently a Bishop can also have a person not participate in any discussions (for example Sunday School). Which makes it every awkward when the Sunday School teacher asks that person a question.

I don't have the answer. It's a system. We muddle through it. Some bishops handle it one way, some another. God help us all.
It is a system, parts of which seem emotionally devoid of humanity and parts of which defy reason, but generations have endured it. Oh wait, it hasn't always been this way? But it's inspired, so the previous version was not?

The system employed allows for leadership to control the members. There are good and bad which flow from this administrative structure.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-17-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #63
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Makes me want to go eat a big plate of worms.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote