cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #61
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It sounds you have a cool FIL. I bet he's not against gay marriage.
You would like him. He also plays poker semi-professionally. Does pretty well for a hobbyist.

He forgets to go to Church sometimes......as in the past 30 years, but he is a very cool guy.

Harvard MBA, too. Maybe I should ask him to start posting here.

Not sure where he stands on gay marriage, but he tends to vote R, so my guess is that he is more likely to be opposed than for.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #62
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You would like him. He also plays poker semi-professionally. Does pretty well for a hobbyist.

He forgets to go to Church sometimes......as in the past 30 years, but he is a very cool guy.

Not sure where he stands on gay marriage, but he tends to vote R, so my guess is that he is more likely to be opposed than for.
I vote Republican.

Yes, you should invite him. Let's start a chess forum.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #63
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I vote Republican.

Yes, you should invite him. Let's start a chess forum.
Not if SIEQ is going to participate. He is intimidating.

FIL is not a big internet message board guy. His pet project for the past 5-7years has been harrassing the Pac 10 chancellors and composing a massive anti-BCS whitepaper that he has sent to GWB and all the members of Congress to name a few.

Lots of time on his hands.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #64
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not if SIEQ is going to participate. He is intimidating.
Ha!

If we have enough interest we could do a round robin.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #65
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
By tournament (or strict) rules:

Removing your piece from the board cannot occur "before he makes his move" because it is part of his move. If it is his move and he touches your piece without saying "I adjust" or "j'adoube," and touching it "as if having the intention of moving it," he is now bound to capture it, if possible. If he touches one of his pieces and then one of your pieces, he must capture your piece with his piece if possible. If a rook is touched (not correctly adjusted) before a king, the opportunity to castle with that rook has been lost, if castling was possible--the rook must now be moved. You shouldn't touch any pieces when it is not your move, not even with "I adjust" of "j'adoube." You can imagine the distractions that could ensue, otherwise.
So, is saying "I adjust" akin to marking your ball so you can pick it up in the green without penalty?

I'm better at golf than chess, so I make more of an effort to understand the rules of golf than those of chess.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #66
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

From what you've posted, I thought your in-laws were over the top active. Something like they thought you were going inactive because you oppose Prop 8 and spent Sunday School in the hall.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #67
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
From what you've posted, I thought your in-laws were over the top active. Something like they thought you were going inactive because you oppose Prop 8 and spent Sunday School in the hall.
My Utah in-laws are very active and very Utah in-lawish (but I love them and enjoy watching my mother in law play ward basketball and volleyball).

My MIL divorced her first husband when TripletMommy was about 5. MIL remarried and the step-dad raised TripletMommy as his own daughter. Those two are my Utah in-laws. They are great people, very loving grandparents. Couldnt ask for a better situation with them. They are great to me, they do not meddle, they are respectful of our decisions, etc..Honestly, cant stress how good they are.

The first husband never remarried and never was active after the marriage. He went to Harvard, worked in NYC and then DC, but eventually moved to Phoenix. He is my AZ FIL....the one who is basically a full-time retiree....goes to sports, travels, plays poker, etc... He and I get along very well, also. We have a lot of the same interests and he and I attend lots of sports stuff together. Good relationship with him. He does not go to Church nor has for decades, but he still loves the Church and its teachings. he is just honest with himself that he has a tough time obeying a few of the big rules....basically, one of the big rules.

So I can see your confusion because I refer to all of them as my in-laws. Technically, they are all my in-laws.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #68
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
FIL is not a big internet message board guy. His pet project for the past 5-7years has been harrassing the Pac 10 chancellors and composing a massive anti-BCS whitepaper that he has sent to GWB and all the members of Congress to name a few.

Lots of time on his hands.
Haven't you enlightened him how the BCS is a glory of market forces at work?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #69
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, is saying "I adjust" akin to marking your ball so you can pick it up in the green without penalty?

I'm better at golf than chess, so I make more of an effort to understand the rules of golf than those of chess.
And I don't know the golf rule...but it sounds like it. Sometimes a piece isn't sitting very well on a square and it's worth a second to resituate it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #70
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Haven't you enlightened him how the BCS is a glory of market forces at work?
We both agree that the BCS is lame.

We disagree in that I do not consider BYU to be on par with the big BCS programs. I also tihnk the MWC is a pretty weak step-sister overall to conferences like the Pac, SEC, and the Big 10.