cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #61
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Tex isn't really a Mullah, he just plays one on CG.
I'm starting to think so too.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #62
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Both. Satan looks for places to put his hooks (to continue your analogy), by lying about our history, hiding our history, twisting our history, we give great openings to Satan wherein to put his hooks. Honestly tackling our history, which is starting to happen with Bushman and Prince and Compton and Hardy and Quinn building on what Arrington and Alexander started in the 80s and 90s, is the right way to go.

The church has gone from fighting honest history (firing Arrington as church historian and making it a GA position) to allowing it (Bushman's book was sold by Deseret Book, but they wouldn't publish it). The next step is to embrace it. I look forward to that day.
I agree that the LDS church has some pretty serious issues and shortcomings concerning its treatment of its own history. I'm cautiously optimistic, however, that the church is looking to become a little more accommodating to historical research. (At least, I was while GBH was in charge. I don't know what Tommy boy will bring.) The new MMM book is being published by Oxford University Press (due out this summer). The authors are LDS and the Sept. '07 Ensign article implied that the text exonerates LDS leadership, but the OUP name alone lends more credibility than a Deseret or Signature Book.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/genera...=9780195160345

It'll be interesting to see both the book's narrative and its sources/methods, all vetted by OUP referees and editors.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #63
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I agree that the LDS church has some pretty serious issues and shortcomings concerning its treatment of its own history. I'm cautiously optimistic, however, that the church is looking to become a little more accommodating to historical research. (At least, I was while GBH was in charge. I don't know what Tommy boy will bring.) The new MMM book is being published by Oxford University Press (due out this summer). The authors are LDS and the Sept. '07 Ensign article implied that the text exonerates LDS leadership, but the OUP name alone lends more credibility than a Deseret or Signature Book.

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/genera...=9780195160345

It'll be interesting to see both the book's narrative and its sources/methods, all vetted by OUP referees and editors.
I agree. I see things getting a little better in terms of the Church's treatment of it's own history. That MMM book is on my list!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #64
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I can get behind 100% of that. Tex isn't really a Mullah, he just plays one on CG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm starting to think so too.
Gee, thanks!

Hey, wait a minute ...

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #65
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. He watches from afar, amused.

A few of my wishes, just off-the-cuff:

1. (For industrialized nations) The elusive 2-hour block. Streamline sacrament meeting down to 40 minutes. Keeping 10 minute breaks between meetings, give 30 mins to adult Sunday School and 30 mins to RS/Priesthood. Eliminate all in-meeting announcements ... relegate them to a paper program, or email. Primary only needs to be one hour. Combine youth Sunday school with YM/YW programs.

2. Convert Mutual/scouts from a weekly to bi-weekly meeting. Every other meeting would be combined, and should be more service-emphasized, including involvement in community and inter-faith activities.

3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.

4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session. Coordination and training of ward leaders by stake leaders handled on case-by-case basis.

That's just my short list. Can you tell I hate meetings?

Not exactly. What Mike meant to say was, "no one wants MY ideas," which is true.
Tex, that's your best post ever. Those are all ideas I would stand behind. Especially a 2-hour block. I also hate meetings.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #66
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Tex, that's your best post ever. Those are all ideas I would stand behind. Especially a 2-hour block. I also hate meetings.
That was indeed a great post. I agree with every one of those ideas.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #67
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. He watches from afar, amused.

A few of my wishes, just off-the-cuff:

1. (For industrialized nations) The elusive 2-hour block. Streamline sacrament meeting down to 40 minutes. Keeping 10 minute breaks between meetings, give 30 mins to adult Sunday School and 30 mins to RS/Priesthood. Eliminate all in-meeting announcements ... relegate them to a paper program, or email. Primary only needs to be one hour. Combine youth Sunday school with YM/YW programs.

2. Convert Mutual/scouts from a weekly to bi-weekly meeting. Every other meeting would be combined, and should be more service-emphasized, including involvement in community and inter-faith activities.

3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.

4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session. Coordination and training of ward leaders by stake leaders handled on case-by-case basis.

That's just my short list. Can you tell I hate meetings?

Not exactly. What Mike meant to say was, "no one wants MY ideas," which is true.
Imagine if they started these Ideas at April General Conference. With 2 hours church and the mtn on satellite it I would be flying high
Old 02-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #68
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why do youth activities twice a week? I think that's unmanageable. The burnout rate among youth leaders would be extraordinary. I'm already in the YM presidency, scoutmaster, Deacon's Quorum adviser. Doubling my prep and time spent is not something most people could handle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #69
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why do youth activities twice a week? I think that's unmanageable. The burnout rate among youth leaders would be extraordinary. I'm already in the YM presidency, scoutmaster, Deacon's Quorum adviser. Doubling my prep and time spent is not something most people could handle.
Oh I read it wrong... I thought it meant once every other week... If its the twice a week thing then absolutely no
Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #70
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Oh I read it wrong... I thought it meant once every other week... If its the twice a week thing then absolutely no
Maybe I read it wrong as well. I think meeting every two weeks would be unmanageable as well, if you are going to have a scouting program. You can't run a troop meeting just once a month. (the other week would be a combined ym and yw activity I assume).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote