cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #61
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just so you know, MBN, I was engaging in some self-mocking in my other post. I was studentbody president in HS.
It was that sweet ride of yours.

Along with head cheerleaders, star football players, and homecoming queens, you all were a dime a dozen at BYU. It was the great equalizer.

I remember the day I hatched the plan to break into BYU student government. I was working part time as a driver for the BYU Laundry and wanted a white collar occupation. I went through all the possible offices with my fellow driver and settled on the one working with clubs and organizations (I was a member of a club, so it made sense). I'd never done anything like that, so it was quite a journey. I learned later that my predecessor was not happy that my campaign literature took a swipe at the "serious nature" of student government. But after taking office, I quickly learned that the organizations I was serving did take it seriously.

I retain the ultimate respect for my fellow officer that headed up the "Education" office. She had a speakers budget and went out of her way to bring in people that would challenge the conventional wisdom of the student body. Naturally there were limits (due to the schools church affiliation), but the administration was supportive, as long as the guests agreed to comply with BYU standards.

Like I said, I gained somewhat of an inside view on the University, realizing that there were many voices and positions to be heard. I also got great seats at the all the events.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 AM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

Along with head cheerleaders, star football players, and homecoming queens, you all were a dime a dozen at BYU. It was the great equalizer.

I remember the day I hatched the plan to break into BYU student government. I was working part time as a driver for the BYU Laundry and wanted a white collar occupation. I went through all the possible offices with my fellow driver and settled on the one working with clubs and organizations (I was a member of a club, so it made sense). I'd never done anything like that, so it was quite a journey. I learned later that my predecessor was not happy that my campaign literature took a swipe at the "serious nature" of student government. But after taking office, I quickly learned that the organizations I was serving did take it seriously.

I retain the ultimate respect for my fellow officer that headed up the "Education" office. She had a speakers budget and went out of her way to bring in people that would challenge the conventional wisdom of the student body. Naturally there were limits (due to the schools church affiliation), but the administration was supportive, as long as the guests agreed to comply with BYU standards.

Like I said, I gained somewhat of an inside view on the University, realizing that there were many voices and positions to be heard. I also got great seats at the all the events.
Well did you get to sit on Sharlene Hawkes's lap?

I did up at Sundance.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #63
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look at what you wrote:

Communist government, hand-picked candidates, sham elections, no power. Nothing about comparison to other schools. I assume you want to be taken seriously.

I ran for office at BYU and won. I was an outsider and certainly wasn't hand-picked (a member of the administration turned me into the HC Office after the election) and the fact that I won shows it was a legitimate election. I hear our "power" was significantly limited when compared to other schools, but we certainly weren't powerless. I worked with campus organizations and one of my goals was to highlight the multicultural presence at BYU, trying to give those groups greater voice via my office. As limited as my power might have been, I think we made progress. I even signed up Amnesty International.

Perhaps things have changed since I was at the BYU. But here's a bone for you. The SB Pres during my term was as gay and they come.
See BlueK's post. Yes, they are hand picked, yes they have little to no power, etc.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 AM   #64
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

How did this thread go from such a great start to BYU student elections?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 AM   #65
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, and you should have heard what I promised during my campaign speech. You would have thought I was running for Supreme Being. Obama would have blushed with shame. But I'll be damned if they didn't buy it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #66
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The edited article is back.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_9...nclick_check=1

In fact, it was published on the front page of the paper today. It is also currently on the front page of the web site.