cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #61
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The only legitmate reason, from a doctrinal standpoint, I've heard for the "Jesus was married" argument, was that it's an essential exalting ordinance. Which does make sense.

I'm not aware of the historical reasoning/precedent for such an opinion.
Without thinking too much about it, here is one reason.......because guys got married back then. That may be a huge stretch, but it sounds good to me.

The ordinance argument makes sense to me.

Also, why would he be at all responsible for running out of wine at a wedding party? Why go to him and freak out because the food and drink is running low? That is usually the concern for the host, not the guest, no? Why the heck would he even be at a wedding party to begin with?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #62
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
You don't seem to understand that you can support the legality of Gay marriage without wanting to force the Church to perform these marriages.

I also believe that heterosexual couples who spend their entire engagement having wild sex should be allowed to get married, but I don't support them getting married in the temple.
No I do understand that you can support the whole Gay marriage issue without forcing the church to support it, but, once it passes the civil test, all the people supporting it civily will come forward demanding the church accept it mainstream, or else.

I am just agreeing with the brethren on this issue and saying that it is better not to even have to look at that bridge, and the horrific mess it will create once crossed, than having to deal with it at a later date within the walls of the church.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #63
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not aware of the historical reasoning/precedent for such an opinion.
I don't want to say more about it than what I just said. Depending on your level of comfort I would read some accounts about "second anointing." I think it is fair to say that is was an important idea in the 19th century (at least to some prominent 19th century leaders) when second annointings were much more common than they are today.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #64
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Without thinking too much about it, here is one reason.......because guys got married back then. That may be a huge stretch, but it sounds good to me.

The ordinance argument makes sense to me.

Also, why would he be at all responsible for running out of wine at a wedding party? Why go to him and freak out because the food and drink is running low? That is usually the concern for the host, not the guest, no? Why the heck would he even be at a wedding party to begin with?
For the same reason that Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn were there?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #65
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It wasn't Adam's transgression. It was Cain's.
The old thought that Cain was cursed with a "black skin" is no longer church doctrine, is it?
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #66
T Blue

Quote:
No idea why, but Crown is hugely popular with Koreans, at least in LA. I dont know if they like opening the purple bag or the funny shaped bottle, but K-Town is Crown Royal central on any given night.

I have been out with my Korean co-workers on several instances. We go to bbq, then karaoke.....and everyone is drinking Crown. You have to see it to believe it.
I understand the Koreans are big into smoking Cigars also, is this correct?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #67
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The old thought that Cain was cursed with a "black skin" is no longer church doctrine, is it?
I don't think it is now, but I was trying to be facetious. I need to use smilies, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #68
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Families, 71. Families--mother and a father and children--is at the heart of the gospel, and that includes heterosexual marraige.

When you come back with "Jesus didn't get married" and "the gospel must be about sex", it is completely disincentivizing to take you seriously. Sorry.

And no, I don't speak for the church in any form. Everytime you see my name, just tack a little mental "In my opinion" to the front of it. I'm not going to type it out each time just for your benefit.

It won't mean much here, but McConkie taught that he was (that he received that ordinance), and I don't believe he's the first one.
Where the hell do you get that families are the "heart of the gospel"? When you refer to the "gospel", are you talking about Christ's teachings or about prevailing Mormon culture?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #69
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
I understand the Koreans are big into smoking Cigars also, is this correct?
I didnt notice cigars, but you cant smoke inside food places, so maybe that is why.

I am serious. Leave downtown and drive down Wilshire through K-town. You will hit about 4 or 5 Crown billboards before you even go 2 miles.

I admit, the fuzzy purple bags are cool. I thought it would be cool to get a few and then have my kids use them to hold their toys. They can each pack a bag to Church, roll up to Sacrament, and bust out the Crown Royal bag filled with goodies. As a matter of fact, consider this done.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #70
T Blue

Quote:
I didnt notice cigars, but you cant smoke inside food places, so maybe that is why.

I am serious. Leave downtown and drive down Wilshire through K-town. You will hit about 4 or 5 Crown billboards before you even go 2 miles.

I admit, the fuzzy purple bags are cool. I thought it would be cool to get a few and then have my kids use them to hold their toys. They can each pack a bag to Church, roll up to Sacrament, and bust out the Crown Royal bag filled with goodies. As a matter of fact, consider this done.
You are going to have a melt down of epic proportions coming from others in your congregation, when they see the purple CR bags being rolled out by the young un's.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the gossip starts rolling around some of the premier gossipers in your ward.