cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #61
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is an ethically immature stance. You don't understand ethics.

"because my god is right and your god is wrong" is not ethics.
You're assuming that I'm taking a stance on the early church's practice of polygamy. You're assuming wrong.

-I believe the LDS church is true.
-I believe that Polygamy is currently against the direction of God.
-I believe that the FLDS members are guilty of breaking NUMEROUS laws.
-I believe the FLDS members willfully participating in the practices they are being accused of are scum-bags who deserve to rot in prison.

I don't believe I have to take a stance on the early church in order to have these beliefs.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #62
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
You're assuming that I'm taking a stance on the early church's practice of polygamy. You're assuming wrong.

-I believe the FLDS members willfully participating in the practices they are being accused of are scum-bags who deserve to rot in prison.

I don't believe I have to take a stance on the early church in order to have these beliefs.
I'm with Waters. I think your stance is ethically immature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #63
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What are you talking about? The "revelation" came after the federal government was about to send the troops to Utah and do the same thing that's happening in Texas now because most the country was so appalled at marital and sexual practices in Utah. Polygamy was not the norm in our culture since the barbarians were converted to Christianity. This is about the lamest apologetics I've ever seen.
I think polygamy sucks. I think it always sucked. I am not apologizing for anything nimrod.

The mormons were chased from the US for their beliefs. You have to be an idiot if you think it was because they were marrying 13 and 14 year olds. There were biggotted anti mormons and polygamy was the good puritan excuse to go after them.

You don't think those same wonderful people that persecuted the mormons wouldn't have sent the gays to jail. I guess you think since it was OK back then, gays should be sent off to jail now.

For a smart guy your ability to analyze is pretty weak when you are on your mormons suck kick.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #64
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
what were the accepted norms back then? Were 15 year old girls married to 50 year old men, and no one would bat an eye?
I think 15 to 50 was not the norm but 15 to 23 would be. It was a different time with different societal constructs. Being married and having children were what society expected from women, today is different. I believe that there was abuse through polygamy in the early LDS Church. I think that the abuse we are talking about with respect to YFZ and instantly claiming that the abuse was no different in the LDS Church is dishonest. I can accept that the practice has roots in the LDS experience, but I believe that the levels of abuse here are probably far more rampant and brutal. Especially when taken in the context of societal expectations for the life of a woman today versus what society felt in 1850.

There is a middle ground I choose to stay in that there is no question that the LDS Church is to blame for polygamy, but I don't accept that polygamy instantly is to blame for abuse. There are other fundamentalist LDS sects living polygamy that don't have the rampant abuse issues of FLDS. In fact I believe that the FLDS issues are fairly recent in its own history.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #65
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm with Waters. I think your stance is ethically immature.
For the record - I couldn't care less what your opinion is.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #66
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

I think you just made Mike's case for him.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #67
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What are you talking about? The "revelation" came after the federal government was about to send the troops to Utah and do the same thing that's happening in Texas now because most the country was so appalled at marital and sexual practices in Utah. Polygamy was not the norm in our culture since the barbarians were converted to Christianity. This is about the lamest apologetics I've ever seen.
I think this is bullshit. The extent of governmental threats were to not allow Utah statehood and the rights affiliated with being a state versus a territory. Most of the country was appalled, to the extent they were, with the perceived threats that the LDS religion had interests in seeking to establish its own political kingdom in the Great Basin and thus seceding from the US. Polygamy was a very minor issue and was a vehicle to legally harass and disrupt the perceived efforts of seccession.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #68
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think 15 to 50 was not the norm but 15 to 23 would be. It was a different time with different societal constructs. Being married and having children were what society expected from women, today is different. I believe that there was abuse through polygamy in the early LDS Church. I think that the abuse we are talking about with respect to YFZ and instantly claiming that the abuse was no different in the LDS Church is dishonest. I can accept that the practice has roots in the LDS experience, but I believe that the levels of abuse here are probably far more rampant and brutal. Especially when taken in the context of societal expectations for the life of a woman today versus what society felt in 1850.

There is a middle ground I choose to stay in that there is no question that the LDS Church is to blame for polygamy, but I don't accept that polygamy instantly is to blame for abuse. There are other fundamentalist LDS sects living polygamy that don't have the rampant abuse issues of FLDS. In fact I believe that the FLDS issues are fairly recent in its own history.
Yes. And even determining what was "normal" in the mid-1800's is a challenge, since the Mormons weren't exactly operating in "normal" circumstances. They were persecuted by mobs, thrown out of several states and migrated to Utah as a fairly insular group (out of necessity). Even absent those issues, "normal" on the frontier would have been dramatically different than "normal" in an east coast city.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #69
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
what were the accepted norms back then? Were 15 year old girls married to 50 year old men, and no one would bat an eye?
You weren't there Mike. ARe you telling me unequivocably that the early church was like the RLDS. Anyone with half a brain knows a society like the RLDS is not going to grow and prosper in a Country like ours.

What I am saying is girls married at 15. Kids couldn't sue their parents. Parents had more control over their kids than now. Men had more control over their families. People wore old fashioned orthodox type clothing.

I have hang ups with how some things are done then and now. I don't feel the need though to compare to an organization like the RLDS in order to sooth my feelings.

YOu and Su act like a couple of terribly wronged teenage girls. Get over it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #70
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think this is bullshit. The extent of governmental threats were to not allow Utah statehood and the rights affiliated with being a state versus a territory. Most of the country was appalled, to the extent they were, with the perceived threats that the LDS religion had interests in seeking to establish its own political kingdom in the Great Basin and thus seceding from the US. Polygamy was a very minor issue and was a vehicle to legally harass and disrupt the perceived efforts of seccession.
Agreed again, not to mention the fact that SU doesn't have a clue what he is talking about with the military going to Utah. They had already been to Utah in what was known as the Utah War (around 1856). The church didn't change its stance on polygamy because it feared destruction from the army, and the nation didn't fear the Mormons because they were polygamist.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote