cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #61
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Sometimes hopes and expectations when confronted with reality are hard to deal with. Different people choose different methods to deal with the dashed expectations. Some accept them, some are in denial about them and some become angry and lash out.

It is my humble opinion that what you see at General Conference or in Sacrament Meeting is an expectation. A what it should be, if you will. Talks about families being together forever. Admonishment to the youth to marry in the Temple and all will be well.

As I sat with a former Bishop of mine at the back of the room in Sacrament meeting one time at a fast and testimonial meeting, I expressed shock at hearing the best Priesthood teacher I ever had and his wife were getting divorced. The Bishop said he had been planning it for 5 years, as soon as his youngest was out of the house. She had slept upstairs and he downstairs for 5 years. He told me what you see here in Sacrament meeting is a fascade. These are real people with real problems.

I don't find that disheartening. My expectation of perfection amongst the Saints was dashed long ago and I have dealt with it in my own way. That is why when someone criticizes one of the brethern, I don't have a pavlovian reaction to defend and fight back.

President Monson encouraged the inactives to come back. From my perspective it would have been nice if he would have also encouraged the so called actives not to pounce on them and bring them back into the false level of "all is well" as long as you are here with us.
A guy I work with had his older brother committ suicide at the beginning of last week. When I called him shortly after the event he was absolutely distraught. As the family spent the time together taking care of the final arrangements for their son/brother things began to improve. I visited with him yesterday and he spoke of how he found comfort in the final verses of the 138th section of the D&C. I went to big house yesterday afternoon so I pulled out the D&C in the chapel and read the final verses. My friend's older brother had strayed, so to speak, from activity in the LDS Church. As I thought about the comfort my friend found in that section, it seemed to me that with respect to salvation there is so much we don't understand and that in the end just about all will be redeemed in the Kindgom of God to some extent. I thought that perhaps we spend too much time worrying about proselytizing others into our method of interpreting the fairy tale and should just spend more time, resources and effort seeking to lift mankind and improve their temporal circumstances. Then it hit me, that in many cases the unique message of the restored gospel can inspire great hope and joy and thus lift others. I found myself right back where I started struggling to conclude what is the balance between pounding others over the head that truth has been restored versus keeping my mouth shut and just helping them by shovelling the snow from their driveway.

I know "let the Holy Spirit guide.."

Am I alone in not finding it *that* easy?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #62
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No one has ever commented to me about your looks. I figured they weren't terrible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #63
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am planning on it. I think I am going to meet my eternal companion in the spirit world or in the millenium when I will be not so concerned about the physical.
What if we find out that changing one's own oil is acceptable? Will you then still seek a helpmate? Or will you just believe sticking with the two helpmates you got would be in your own words, "bigamy?"
Old 04-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #64
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What if we find out that changing one's own oil is acceptable? Will you then still seek a helpmate? Or will you just believe sticking with the two helpmates you got would be in your own words, "bigamy?"
I am still a big fan of not changing your own oil. If my family wouldn't find out I would be petitioning the brethern endlessly to have an escape clause for divorced men when it comes to the severity of getting your oil changed by an unauthorized dealer.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #65
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am still a big fan of not changing your own oil. If my family wouldn't find out I would be petitioning the brethern endlessly to have an escape clause for divorced men when it comes to the severity of getting your oil changed by an unauthorized dealer.
Well the penalty has been diminished, just not far enough.

And several friends of mine, who've had to declare on their taxes unauthorized oil changes make a collective disclosure without specifics. Generally that works, especially if the changer wasn't previously, or isn't currently pretending to be an oil change representative.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #66
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm still chuckling to myself about the "self-styled DNA expert" and "protege of Hartman Rector Jr." (no less) hired by the stake president to make a presentation on how Book of Mormon peoples lived around the Great Lakes. If laughing is healthy that gem extended my life by a few months. It's worthy of a Tom Wolfe novel.
Meldrum's fireside was surreal. Waters correctly pegged him as a snake oil salesman (the oil being DVD's). The audience quickly divided into two camps: believers who bought in bulk, and skeptics who watched with amazement and jealousy. Meldrum laughed all the way to the bank. We estimated he sold 2,500 DVD's packaged in sets of 1,3 or 10 (the SU Faith Collection). Assuming sales of 2,000 at an average unit price of $15, he waltzed out with $30K. Pretty slick production complete with endorsement from a former high profile GA. I just get angry with those who use religion for financial gain. Didn't take enough psych classes to begin to understand why LDS folks are so susceptible.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #67
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus View Post
Meldrum's fireside was surreal. Waters correctly pegged him as a snake oil salesman (the oil being DVD's). The audience quickly divided into two camps: believers who bought in bulk, and skeptics who watched with amazement and jealousy. Meldrum laughed all the way to the bank. We estimated he sold 2,500 DVD's packaged in sets of 1,3 or 10 (the SU Faith Collection). Assuming sales of 2,000 at an average unit price of $15, he waltzed out with $30K. Pretty slick production complete with endorsement from a former high profile GA. I just get angry with those who use religion for financial gain. Didn't take enough psych classes to begin to understand why LDS folks are so susceptible.
Priestcraft, I think, is the term you are looking for.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #68
MikeWaters
Demiurge

and you paid for this guy to come???!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #69
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Adam, the Bishop may have felt bound by confidentiality. He may have asked if he could bring someone else into the conversation and was rebuffed.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #70
Ceteris Paribus

Ceteris Paribus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and you paid for this guy to come???!!!
Desperation drives bad decisions. Stake Pres. paid travel expenses out of his own pocket. A decision he now regrets.
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote