cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #71
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yeah it's a foul to reach for the ball when the other player going for it doesn't have possession of it and is chasing after it too.
not how I saw it on replay but then again we come from different biases.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #72
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
This is a ridiculous conversation. The Jazz had ample opportunities to take the lead last night and did not convert once. That is why they did not win.
As a player, this is probably the only useful way to look at the game. But as a fan, the conversation's far from ridiculous (well, no more ridiculous than discussing a basketball game that none of us were involved in). By the same logic, you could say the Lakers blew opportunities to beat the Jazz by 15. To say that the referees don't affect a bball game just because one team doesn't convert every opportunity, doesn't grab every available rebound, doesn't make every shot, etc. is ridiculous.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #73
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
creek, I already responded last night. i think it was probably a bad call, but your description shows that you are likely not following closely. You reference The Machine dribbling off his knee, which is irrelevant to the call. The call was for AK reaching, not who touched it last. If you watch the replay, Ak getting called for a reach is not a huge stretch. Shasha sold it by flopping to the ground.

Even after that call, jazz could have gone ahead, so no I disagree with you. that call did not change the outcome of the game.

Given that bad calls against the Jazz could affect the outcome. but there were also calls against the lakers that I did not agree with. Those could have also affected the outcome. This is why whining about refs is so pointless and circular....there is always a way to claim that both teams got jobbed.

if you dont even think the Jazz should have won last night, then why are you complaining that the Ak call may have changed the game?

Let's see who isn't following closely, shall we? Find one place where I said the call on kirilenko affected the outcome. You will look in vain, as I did nto say that. My last post referred to several of the calls, and even then only conditionally allowed that taken together they might have affected the outcome.

The dribble off the knee is releveant, IMO, becasue little Sasha's flailing is what the ref on the other side of the ocurt called; he was not in position to see the reach (and I don't think it was a reach). I did not think it, alone, affected the outcome. To be perfectly honest, I am feeling grouchy and my biggest gripe here is about your petulant whining, I mean mocking, which grows stale and tedious, IMO.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #74
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Let's see who isn't following closely, shall we? Find one place where I said the call on kirilenko affected the outcome. You will look in vain, as I did nto say that. My last post referred to several of the calls, and even then only conditionally allowed that taken together they might have affected the outcome.

The dribble off the knee is releveant, IMO, becasue little Sasha's flailing is what the ref on the other side of the ocurt called; he was not in position to see the reach (and I don't think it was a reach). I did not think it, alone, affected the outcome. To be perfectly honest, I am feeling grouchy and my biggest gripe here is about your petulant whining, I mean mocking, which grows stale and tedious, IMO.
I've changed my mind. I'm not mocking. I'm describing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #75
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've changed my mind. I'm not mocking. I'm describing.

We already knew it. At least you can admit it now. This is the first step toward recovery.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #76
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
As a player, this is probably the only useful way to look at the game. But as a fan, the conversation's far from ridiculous (well, no more ridiculous than discussing a basketball game that none of us were involved in). By the same logic, you could say the Lakers blew opportunities to beat the Jazz by 15. To say that the referees don't affect a bball game just because one team doesn't convert every opportunity, doesn't grab every available rebound, doesn't make every shot, etc. is ridiculous.
Just as you are not going to convert every opportunity, grab every available rebound, doesn't make every shot, etc, you are not going to get every call.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #77
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So guys, just to get it out on the table now, what is going to be the excuse all summer? It seems like we are all leaning towards the refs being at fault in this series. But I dont want to prematurely rule out other lame excuses until everyone has weighed in.
DDD claims Utah fans use the ref as an excuse. I think the evidence shows differently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Nope, it [speaking of officiating] didn't swing the game. Like I said, the Jazz blew probably 10 chances to take the lead this game. I can't believe they couldn't conver once. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
The thing that frustrates me most about the officiating is the inconsistency in which it is called. Kobe and Lamar get "and 1" opportunities in the 4th when they were not touched, and Williams/Boozer drive to the basket, get fouled but don't get the call.

This loss can hardly be put at the feet of the refs. The Jazz had too many chances to make a move and made bad decisions with the ball, taking bad shots, turning it over or not getting loose ball rebounds after a defensive stop. Those things are what hurt the worst. And yes, those calls were influential. But I still believe that the Jazz had too many chances tonight to point a finger at the officiating and really lay blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
DWill should have shot a ton more free throws in this series than he has been.

He gets no respect from the officials. He doesn't do the Tony Parker drive and flop routine....he does a tough legit drive, gets contact, oft times getting hammered and rarely gets the call.

It's time for DWill to start being more selfish and shooting more down the stretch. As crappy as reffing was,,,it wasn't why the Jazz lost. Not at all.

Lamar Odom has been the biggest X factor, difference, whatever you wanna call it in this series. The Jazz simply have no answer for him.

Based on the above evidence, it appears that Jazz fans didn't like the officiating but nobody seems to be blaming the loss on the officiating. Based on the above evidence, it also appears that DDD needs reading comprehension lessons. Of course, that probably goes without saying because everyone knows that "Laker fan" and "needs reading comprehension lessons" are synonymous phrases.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #78
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
DDD claims Utah fans use the ref as an excuse. I think the evidence shows differently:

Based on the above evidence, it appears that Jazz fans didn't like the officiating but nobody seems to be blaming the loss on the officiating. Based on the above evidence, it also appears that DDD needs reading comprehension lessons. Of course, that probably goes without saying because everyone knows that "Laker fan" and "needs reading comprehension lessons" are synonymous phrases.
Did you understand that, DDD? I'd try to translate for you, but I honestly have no idea how to do that.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #79
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

So I guess I was wrong, Jazz fans have no issue with the refs and feel that they did not determine the outcome.

I guess I got confused when I saw the title of this thread. My bad.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #80
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Did you understand that, DDD? I'd try to translate for you, but I honestly have no idea how to do that.
No doubt.