cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #71
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Meaning tradition isn't a great reason to keep doing something. Again, thought it was pretty obvious.
The tradition of one-man, one-woman marriage is a great reason to keep doing it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #72
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The tradition of one-man, one-woman marriage is a great reason to keep doing it.
Still looking for that reason why. You sound like the Fiddler on the Roof. Tradition! Tradition!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #73
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Still looking for that reason why. You sound like the Fiddler on the Roof. Tradition! Tradition!
What about the roles of fathers and mothers in raising children? I know there are same sex couple adoptions already, but legalizing gay marriage further mainstreams this unfortunate scenario.

Kids, where possible, should have moms and dads. I know there are alot of single parents out there, and you'll probably cite some scientific study that shows that kids are no worse off with two dads, but it just doesn't make sense to me. This is one area where society, at large, is negatively impacted. I can see this as being one of the main reasons the Church pushes so strongly against gay marriage.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #74
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
What about the roles of fathers and mothers in raising children? I know there are same sex couple adoptions already, but legalizing gay marriage further mainstreams this unfortunate scenario.

Kids, where possible, should have moms and dads. I know there are alot of single parents out there, and you'll probably cite some scientific study that shows that kids are no worse off with two dads, but it just doesn't make sense to me. This is one area where society, at large, is negatively impacted. I can see this as being one of the main reasons the Church pushes so strongly against gay marriage.
I understand your concerns, but shouldn't the government do what the data supports? And should single parents not be allowed to adopt?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #75
Tex

Quote:
Still looking for that reason why.
That it works.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #76
Cali Coug

Quote:
That it works.
You aren't a very good advocate for your position. "It works" doesn't say anything about whether something else works too. At this point it kind of feels like you have just thrown in the towel.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #77
Tex

Quote:
You aren't a very good advocate for your position. "It works" doesn't say anything about whether something else works too. At this point it kind of feels like you have just thrown in the towel.
Not thrown in the towel. Just bored. I'm arguing that the sky is blue, that the sun is hot, that Elvis is dead.

This marriage concept is so basic that only hair-splitting myopic lawyers could possibly be confused about it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #78
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Cali wants a purely secular answer to something that can only truly be justified and explained using a spiritual and eternal perspective. That's a losing proposition. Give it up. This is one of many reasons why progressive secularism is well on its way to destroying our society.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #79
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Cali wants a purely secular answer to something that can only truly be justified and explained using a spiritual and eternal perspective. That's a losing proposition. Give it up. This is one of many reasons why progressive secularism is well on its way to destroying our society.
In other words, you are incabable of defending the position on a secular basis. In that case, your position should fail.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #80
Cali Coug

Quote:
Not thrown in the towel. Just bored. I'm arguing that the sky is blue, that the sun is hot, that Elvis is dead.

This marriage concept is so basic that only hair-splitting myopic lawyers could possibly be confused about it.
It isn't even basic given your argument of "tradition." The tradition of marriage is one totally different to the one recognized in the US today (as all Mormons should know). If tradition is the winning argument, polygamy will find a nice place in American society (as will harlots).