cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 AM   #71
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I know I am late here Levin. My son is 4, will be 5 in October. He did not speak a word until he was 4. We had been trying to get a diagnosis since he was 2.5. Earlier this year he was finally diagnosed with apraxia. When we did not know what he had, we enrolled(lots of tests involved to get him qualified for the help) him in a program in Utah called "Kids Who Count" at the age of 2.5. Since then he has been in the Nebo School Districts head start program. It has been a tremendous help. During that same time, we continued to try and find a diagnosis which landed him seeing a occupational therapist for a year(he stopped seeing him about a 2 months ago) and also a speech therapist.
Anyway, the point is get some help from everyone that will listen. I tell you, the kid will never ask why you were so paranoid as some on here seem to believe. My son has a very good vocabulary now, but still can not pronounce some words but we see progress every week. Good luck and from experience, don't accept "I don't know" for an answer. Keep going until you get a diagnosis.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #72
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
My wife is really worried, but I've taken a very laid back approach. But now that we've hit the downhill approach to 3, I want to be more proactive, or at least just talk to a professional. We haven't taken him to a doctor or anything for his delayed speech. I don't like parental alarmism, and I think kids should be given space and patience to develop, with loving encouragement. But my wife has been chafing at my "I'm not worried" statements, and I am now curious why he may not be talking.

He makes good eye contact, plays well, likes physical affection . . . but he can't say a single word except "yah" and "mo" -- his "yes" and "no." Not a single other word. He won't try to make the sounds when we have worked with him.

Internet tells me there are a host of reasons for delayed speech. We're going to take him to his pediatrician, but have any of you guys or gals had any experience with this?

I'm tired of telling my wife that Einstein didn't talk until he was four.
At this stage I wouldn't worry. By six or seven, I think it's safe to assume there's a problem. For now it could just be his personality or his way of synthesizing the world.
Good luck. Diagnosing these things can be difficult time-consuming, but if a "label" is appropriate, it's always helpful to know which one it is.
JSYK, they'll want him to start preschool this winter, to help with the delay.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #73
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

We took our son to his new pediatrician, and again, physically, there was nothing abnormal. The audiologist checked his ears, and all is okay there. Had a full-scale developmental examination (folks from DC public schools), and preliminary findings is that it's not autism, but unexplained speech delay/learning disability. Two visits with two different speech therapists, both who were optimistic that he will be okay.

Biggest new development: our son has suddenly started to try to form words. This is the result, mostly, of my wife's hard work. He now tries to say "please," "train," "juice," and other such words. These words he understands. He's also mimicing our four-year old son a lot more -- not saying the words, but at least making the same tonal inflections. It's encouraging.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #74
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
We took our son to his new pediatrician, and again, physically, there was nothing abnormal. The audiologist checked his ears, and all is okay there. Had a full-scale developmental examination (folks from DC public schools), and preliminary findings is that it's not autism, but unexplained speech delay/learning disability. Two visits with two different speech therapists, both who were optimistic that he will be okay.

Biggest new development: our son has suddenly started to try to form words. This is the result, mostly, of my wife's hard work. He now tries to say "please," "train," "juice," and other such words. These words he understands. He's also mimicing our four-year old son a lot more -- not saying the words, but at least making the same tonal inflections. It's encouraging.
nice. this is great news.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #75
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

have you tried simple sign language? Singing Time DVDS as well as Signing Time TV show on PBS.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #76
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He now tries to say "please," "train," "juice," and other such words. These words he understands. He's also mimicing our four-year old son a lot more -- not saying the words, but at least making the same tonal inflections. It's encouraging.
VERY encouraging! That means the ability and desire there, he's just taking a little longer to put everything together. Very very good sign.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #77
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
have you tried simple sign language? Singing Time DVDS as well as Signing Time TV show on PBS.
Yes, and he's started to use the signs as well. Only a few, but he's been watching Signing Time for a year and has just now started to use some signs.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #78
TripletDaddy

Quote:
My kids love this....Alex, Leah, and Hopkins.

They are LDS, no?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #79
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My kids love this....Alex, Leah, and Hopkins.

They are LDS, no?
Hopkins is. Don't know about the rest.

Although there is a rumor that Hopkins has issues with SSA.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #80
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Hopkins is. Don't know about the rest.

Although there is a rumor that Hopkins has issues with SSA.
sassypants.

Rachel de Azevedo is the mom. She and her daughter are LDS. Not sure about her cousin, Alex.

If Hopkins really has SSA, please confirm ASAP. I don't want my kids to see the cartoon and then choose to be gay.