cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #71
El Jefe

El Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
He has a good thing going over there. He calls what should be a called a subscription a "donation" and lets the mindless minions shame everyone into paying it. And yet everyone still has to see the stupid ads. Granted, they're not as annoying as they used to be, I guess. Most other sites offer special features to those who pay (like ESPN insider, etc.) But I suspect el Jefe has discovered that using guilt is far more effective.
I meant to reply to this earlier. I already mentioned that I hate the idiots who complain about non-donors as much as anybody, but I don't see them most of the time. The other part I didn't address, though. As I mentioned before, I have contractual obligations regarding the ads. I have been trying to work with the company that does the ads to make a way for donors to not have to see the ads. They agree that this is something they need to offer, and are working on the problem. They have agreements with the sponsor companies, however, which they need to modify in order to make that happen, so it is a slow project.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
I never said that Cougarboard has no costs. I just said that the hosting is free.

Also, I don't see it as money vs. community. Cougarboard (for me at least) has always been about community first. Did I try to make money from it as well? Yes, obviously. But the community always was the primary motivator.

Think of it this way. The two things I enjoy most in life are working with computers and Cougar football. Cougarboard is a way for me to do both. That's why I run the site.

As for your accusation that I decided I could make more money by not having you on the board, I assure you that the thought never even occurred to me. For one thing, you're being fundamentally dishonest with that accusation, as I wasn't involved at all in you being banned.

Besides that, though, you were given a 3 day penalty because of your trolling on Cougarboard, and for no other reason. You know you're a troll. You ask "honest questions" that are completely insincere, and then whine when someone calls you on it. You get into pissing contests with Snipe, Tex, and whoever else, which 99% of the board would rather not be bothered with, and then come here and talk about how Cougarboard lacks "community".

If some of the moderators can't stand you, it has nothing to do with me.
What is Snipe's auto-ignore score? Not very high I bet.

I guess the main philosophical difference is in the approach to *shaping* the community.

Jefe has an idea of what he wants his site to be.

I have an idea of what I want this site to be. For example, I don't want 40 anti-Mormon posters here always talking about how evil the LDS church is.

Jefe enforces his vision. I ask others to join in. I ask the community what they want.

It's not either of these approaches are radical.

As to me saying maybe you think you can make more money with me gone, that is an inference from the idea that you feel the "pissing contests" detract from the enjoyment of the masses, and therefore hurt the bottom line (potentially).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #73
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I never said that Cougarboard has no costs. I just said that the hosting is free.

Also, I don't see it as money vs. community. Cougarboard (for me at least) has always been about community first. Did I try to make money from it as well? Yes, obviously. But the community always was the primary motivator.

Think of it this way. The two things I enjoy most in life are working with computers and Cougar football. Cougarboard is a way for me to do both. That's why I run the site.

As for your accusation that I decided I could make more money by not having you on the board, I assure you that the thought never even occurred to me. For one thing, you're being fundamentally dishonest with that accusation, as I wasn't involved at all in you being banned.

Besides that, though, you were given a 3 day penalty because of your trolling on Cougarboard, and for no other reason. You know you're a troll. You ask "honest questions" that are completely insincere, and then whine when someone calls you on it. You get into pissing contests with Snipe, Tex, and whoever else, which 99% of the board would rather not be bothered with, and then come here and talk about how Cougarboard lacks "community".

If some of the moderators can't stand you, it has nothing to do with me.
You can't pass the buck by saying the mods having nothing to do with you. You picked them. You have an ignore feature. If those on the board can't take Mike, they can ignore them.

That is my gripe with the board. For some reason you and the mod squad feel the need to hold others hands and guide them. I understand that. We come from a culture that promotes that and probably most of your board does like that feeling of the brethern (mods) will keep us from the bad guys.

Snipe is every bit the troll Mike is. He is not seen as a troll because of the culture (CB) he posts in.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #74
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Snipe is every bit the troll Mike is. He is not seen as a troll because of the culture (CB) he posts in.
Snipe actually believes in what he posts most of the time. Mike doesn't. He will pathologically take whichever position will elicit the most outraged reponses.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #75
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Snipe actually believes in what he posts most of the time. Mike doesn't. He will pathologically take whichever position will elicit the most outraged reponses.
Well then I feel sorrier for Snipe if he believes in all the stuff he posts.

And if Mike isn't well entrenched in his liberal attitudes, he has done a great job in faking it.

Bottom line, so what. Can't the boobs that can't handle him hit the ignore button? Why do they need big brother protecting them against him.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #76
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
See you don't understand good trolling. Trolling is only effective when the person who does it believes in what he is saying.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #77
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I meant to reply to this earlier. I already mentioned that I hate the idiots who complain about non-donors as much as anybody, but I don't see them most of the time. The other part I didn't address, though. As I mentioned before, I have contractual obligations regarding the ads. I have been trying to work with the company that does the ads to make a way for donors to not have to see the ads. They agree that this is something they need to offer, and are working on the problem. They have agreements with the sponsor companies, however, which they need to modify in order to make that happen, so it is a slow project.
What I want to know is why you've pretty much stopped responding in the appeals process? I don't remember the last time I actually had an appeal responded back to.

Get rid of the appeals process. It's rarely responded to and when it is it rarely changes anything. You're new buddy/moderator over there Pete is having a field day banning people left and right. To insinuate and try and separate yourself from what, who and how the mods are banning people is a very weak cop out Jefe. It's your site.

Some of your moderators and yourself are having ridiculously itchy trigger fingers with who's getting banned for some of the GAYEST things I've ever heard of. Just admit there's a bias for posters you don't like over that get banned for saying some things that other people wouldn't get banned for...and then your credibility wouldn't be getting damaged so much. You're too obsessed with your dreams of having a G-rated forum and it's clouding your judgement.

Just tell the truth in that regard.

Also you might want to institute a penalty or banning mechanism for the habitual abuse reporters. You know the herbsnspices of the world who bitch and moan every time someone makes fun of her.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #78
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
What I want to know is why you've pretty much stopped responding in the appeals process? I don't remember the last time I actually had an appeal responded back to.

Get rid of the appeals process. It's rarely responded to and when it is it rarely changes anything. You're new buddy/moderator over there Pete is having a field day banning people left and right.
Yes, Pete is trying to shoot snakes from a tree and is instead hitting 12 year old boys in the forehead.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #79
BYU71

Quote:

Get rid of the appeals process. It's rarely responded to and when it is it rarely changes anything. You're new buddy/moderator over there Pete is having a field day banning people left and right.
AS long as we are throwing out suggestions, why the resigning of something you know you are going to break. How do you know you will break it. Well because some guy is going to judge you on his standards. It is like agreeing to the law of chastity and then all of a sudden realizing your judge is a Shiite Muslim.

Go ahead and delete posts and suspend people. Making them resign the rules adds insult to injury. I giggled everytime I resigned, as do most. It just got not so funny anymore.

Now if CB is going through a purification process, fine. I have no problem with that. I choose not to adhere to fundamentalist type situations, but certainly grant all those who do the right to do so with no malice.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #80
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Get rid of the appeals process. It's rarely responded to and when it is it rarely changes anything. You're new buddy/moderator over there Pete is having a field day banning people left and right. To insinuate and try and separate yourself from what, who and how the mods are banning people is a very weak cop out Jefe. It's your site.
The appeals process works, if you can state your case in a level-headed tone.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote