cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #71
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'd hate to think that I am the pinnacle of sacrifice around here.
For some reason I cant bring myself to believe you.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #72
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm disappointed that no one has claimed that they probably give more time to the church, away from their families than me. I'd hate to think that I am the pinnacle of sacrifice around here.
At least no one is willing to be as big of a chest-thumping martyr about it as you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #73
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm disappointed that no one has claimed that they probably give more time to the church, away from their families than me. I'd hate to think that I am the pinnacle of sacrifice around here.
I suspect my wife, a newly called YW pres, is giving as much or more time. I won't go into details.

Callings ebb and flow. I remember as an EQ pres in a very needy ward giving a lot more than you. It was practically every night, along with monthly calls to move people out of their apartments the next day.

I don't recall complaining that much, I was young then like you are now.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #74
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think it actually might be easier to be first counselor in the bishopric than it is to be a scoutmaster in terms of time.
I don't think there's any question that this is true. I think only the Bishop and the RS President have a similar workload. You could probably throw a seminary teacher in the mix as well.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #75
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned an amazing thing during my time as executive secretary.

That people turn down callings. All the time.

People turn down talks. All the time.

People even turn down giving prayers!

Perhaps I accepted my past two callings much too quickly. I should have asked for a week or two to pray about it, so the Lord could have given me, possibly, the answer that it was not the right thing for me or my family. Instead, being asked in a moment and expected to give an immediate response, I said "yes".

How many of you would have gone to scout camp a week before your bar exam?

Yet the excuses you hear...

I've taken my turn at the wheel. I'm increasingly under the impression that it is someone else's turn coming up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #76
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I learned an amazing thing during my time as executive secretary.

That people turn down callings. All the time.

People turn down talks. All the time.

People even turn down giving prayers!

Perhaps I accepted my past two callings much too quickly. I should have asked for a week or two to pray about it, so the Lord could have given me, possibly, the answer that it was not the right thing for me or my family. Instead, being asked in a moment and expected to give an immediate response, I said "yes".

How many of you would have gone to scout camp a week before your bar exam?

Yet the excuses you hear...

I've taken my turn at the wheel. I'm increasingly under the impression that it is someone else's turn coming up.
On the flip side - although I'm sure it varies from ward to ward, region to region, etc. - there are lots of people who are willing to serve but are never asked. There's a contingent of students, young marrieds with kids, etc. in my ward who would be excellent YM or YW leaders (or other), but are never asked. They end up in the "temporary" callings because the assumption is that they're not permanent enough for certain callings (never mind that many graduate students are here for 5-7 years, a longer average stay than some of the professions in my ward).

There's also the appearance factor. A couple of long-hairs in my ward would make great scout leaders, but don't look the part.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #77
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
On the flip side - although I'm sure it varies from ward to ward, region to region, etc. - there are lots of people who are willing to serve but are never asked. There's a contingent of students, young marrieds with kids, etc. in my ward who would be excellent YM or YW leaders (or other), but are never asked. They end up in the "temporary" callings because the assumption is that they're not permanent enough for certain callings (never mind that many graduate students are here for 5-7 years, a longer average stay than some of the professions in my ward).

There's also the appearance factor. A couple of long-hairs in my ward would make great scout leaders, but don't look the part.
My ward has put in some of their stronger resources into the YM program. When a stake presideny was dissolved, just a few months later that counselor was made YM president. I was moved from Executive Sec. to SM. The counselor we just lost was a very intelligent lawyer, who could have excelled in a number of callings. The incoming counselor is coming straight from being the executive sec. Formerly an EQ President was moved from there to YM.

As a wise man recently told me, you can tell how much a Bishop values the scouting program by who he calls into the positions. Some Bishops do not value it.

Actually come to think of it, including me, the last three executive secretaries are all in scouting/YM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #78
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Actually come to think of it, including me, the last three executive secretaries are all in scouting/YM.
Maybe he is punishing you all for doing a bad job
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #79
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I will make a bold prediction. I predict that the man who will replace me in YM is the man whom I prayed and received an answer should have filled the last open YM slot.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #80
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not a competition. I'm happy if someone has.

I think it actually might be easier to be first counselor in the bishopric than it is to be a scoutmaster in terms of time.
It's to bad a father of one of the scouts can't be the scoutmaster. I always had a son in scouts when I served in scouting and I can't imagine doing it any other way. We have several men that serve in our ward without any sons that are involved and I really admire their dedication. It also blows me away when people complain to these guys about what is happening in scouts yet you never see them on a camp out.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote