cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #81
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Really, the only relevant fact is immutablility. I'll concede the whole debate the day they prove being gay is a choice.
Wow. You really are on a weak footing, then. I can think of lots of better arguments.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #82
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The question is whether or not a government wants to sanction and promote a certain kind of relationship because either it is (1) a public good or (2) because it is viewed as an individual right regardless of whether it produces a good. Why does the question of whether one has any choice about desiring that relationship matter?
Good point, but the immutability question has a large impact on whether or not people view gay marriage as a valid individual right.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #83
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good point, but the immutability question has a large impact on whether or not people view gay marriage as a valid individual right.
As far as gay marriage being an indivdual right, I find the question of immutability utterly irrelevant.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #84
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
As far as gay marriage being an indivdual right, I find the question of immutability utterly irrelevant.
Sure you do, but I am talking about the public at large. I daresay that the ever-growing consensus on immutability is the most likely reason that we are even debating the issue.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #85
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
So if my desire to burn your house down is immutable, then it is violative of the equal protection clause for legislation to forbid be from doing so? You're even a level or two above superficial with that argument. Dig deeper. I know you can.
You said immutablity was irrelevant. I proved to you it wasn't. What's your point now? Are you saying that the prospect of piromaniacs becoming a suspect classification in Supreme Court precedent means the Court or the public shouldn't make immutability shouldn't a factor? It's a stupid point.

As we see with the Supreme Court's treatment of gender cases, the analysis doesn't stop with immutablity. But it's the single most significant factor and immutablity always takes the runner to rounding third base (rounding second base in the case of women). Gays have a Constitutional case because we all know intuitively their condition is immutable.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #86
SeattleUte

Quote:
Wow. You really are on a weak footing, then. I can think of lots of better arguments.
Lebowski is right. Immutablitiy is the reason this issue has traction. There are no better arguments. Immutablity is what distinguishes gay marriage from polygamy, in fact. Another reason why Mormons want to downplay this all important factor.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #87
SeattleUte

Quote:
Not a good point. It flies in the fact of decades of Bill of Rights jurisprudence. Immutablity is all important.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #88
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

So, by SU's standards, any realtionship in which the individuals claim thaey were created with the desire to be togehter (for romantic and intimate purposes, as SU said) must be allowed and proteted as marriage?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #89
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Lebowski is right. Immutablitiy is the reason this issue has traction. There are no better arguments. Immutablity is what distinguishes gay marriage from polygamy, in fact. Another reason why Mormons want to downplay this all important factor.

Is it different? What if you are immutably unable to remain monogamous? The whole population of French males would so testify.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #90
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In other words, if I think something is morally wrong I am less inclined to prevent you from doing it if your desire for it is the result of feelings and instincts as opposed to a decision making process. But all sorts of illegal behaviors are the results of feelings and desires, maybe most. We do, however, make distinctions based on state of mind, for example, a murder of passion is less serious that one that is premeditated. But that analogy too is problematic because we are talking about giving a right rather than punishing a crime.

I just think in the end it is a moral choice that society has to make. I am unconvinced by cost/benefit, mutable/immutable arguments. It still all comes down to what does society want to allow.