cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #81
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Go ahead, ignore me. You need to start somewhere.
Don't ignore creekster. He's the glue that holds this place together.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #82
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Don't ignore creekster. He's the glue that holds this place together.
Creekster is made of horse? I knew it!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #83
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Go ahead, ignore me. You need to start somewhere.
ok dude.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #84
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I've often wondered what the proof would prove to those asking for it. Would it prove anything at all? Or would the focus of their doubt just shift to something else that could not be proven.

As UD suggests...this is not to say that we cannot spend our time looking into it and worrying about it, I just wonder how proof would change the way the non-believers looked at the LDS church, its history, and the Book of Mormon. I suspect it wouldn't change one bit.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #85
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I've often wondered what the proof would prove to those asking for it. Would it prove anything at all? Or would the focus of their doubt just shift to something else that could not be proven.

As UD suggests...this is not to say that we cannot spend our time looking into it and worrying about it, I just wonder how proof would change the way the non-believers looked at the LDS church, its history, and the Book of Mormon. I suspect it wouldn't change one bit.
I'm in agreement with Dan, that we wouldn't value the teachings whether or not tangible evidence existed. Sometimes it would be nice to have just a tidbit so that historical claims, to the extent they are made, wouldn't appear so ludicrous at times.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #86
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Why would God select Lehi’s family as an elect people and send them into abject isolation? It doesn’t make sense in context to the nature of God we as LDS espouse. Would it not make more sense that he preserved Lehi’s family as an elect people and sent them to influence and affect positive change in ‘gentile’ populations of his children in the western hemisphere.

Consider that, after Joseph Smiths death, God sent his elect people with Brigham Young at the head into isolation in the Salt Lake valley not merely to preserve them but to allow them to prepare to fill the earth with his gospel through missionary work. There’s so much more to the story that we just don’t have, and maybe never will receive, but I am not comfortable with the notion of limited geography.
that's a good point.... kind of mirrors abraham and his clan
Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #87
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

The same could be said of the current believers -- if presented with proof against the LDS Church, the believers would shift to something else and I suspect their belief wouldn't change one bit. (Cognitive Dissonance)
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #88
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, let's get it on the table--what proof is necessary regarding the historicity of the book of Mormon, for SU to believe it is history, or what it says it is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #89
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, let's get it on the table--what proof is necessary regarding the historicity of the book of Mormon, for SU to believe it is history, or what it says it is.
I've spent more time than I care to disclose reading biblical "proofs", biblical analysis, and if one reads long and hard enough, one begins to doubt everything and anything.

As long as Mormons are not required to blow themselves up, to subjugate underaged females, and to harm other physically, what we believe will be based on spiritual interpretations, not based upon archaeological findings. And it won't matter, because there is value to our way of life.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #90
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He'll accept nothing less than the gold plates themselves and an exhaustive translation by numerous experts over several decades
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote