cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #81
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Nobody has tried it.

Are you at all familiar with the tuberculosis quarantines?

You've dodged that question. Why?
I think that's a totally different situation. There's an early phase of TB that is usually easy to identify. You can screen for TB with an x-ray.

There was no test for HIV, and there were no symptoms, and the epidemic had begun long before the virus was even remotely understood.

Why don't we implement a quarantine today for all the HIV infected individuals in America? Now we have a test, and we can identify everyone who has HIV. We could have mandatory screening for HIV before anyone gets a job or a driver's license. I think this is a legitimate question.

Another difference is that TB is spread by minimal contact, and HIV is primarily spread by sexual behavior. The individual can protect himself/herself from HIV by wearing a condom, while someone could protect himself/herself from TB by wearing a mask. I can understand the argument that there is no difference, but I still think that it was too late by the time the epidemic had begun.

Now we have approximately 1 million HIV-infected people in America. What is the proper way for public health organizations to deal with it? Lock infected people up? I think reporting is reasonable. I don't know the history of reporting HIV in the 80s, but I'd guess that before reporting was even possible, an epidemic had already begun.

I just don't think it's fair to blame gay advocacy groups for anything. They didn't know what kind of disease they were dealing with early on, and neither did the greatest retroviral researchers in the world.

So if it's possible to quarantine people and stop spread of the disease, then we could do it today. I just don't think this is a reasonable thing to do, since an HIV-infected person can walk into a room without being a threat to his/her neighbors, while a person with active TB is automatically a threat to anyone in the room.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #82
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Nobody has tried it.

Are you at all familiar with the tuberculosis quarantines?

You've dodged that question. Why?
One more thing. How do you quarantine an AIDS patient? Make them wear chastity belts? Cut off their weenies? Make it so they don't bleed?

I'm guessing that North Korea "succeeded in eradicating HIV" by shooting all infected indivduals.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #83
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
One more thing. How do you quarantine an AIDS patient? Make them wear chastity belts? Cut off their weenies? Make it so they don't bleed?

I'm guessing that North Korea "succeeded in eradicating HIV" by shooting all infected indivduals.
Quarantine today is politically unfeasible due to Gay Advocates. It would not be pleasant, but medically it would be the most efficient. You would still have to be humane.

If we had something not sexually transmitted, say perhaps a modified Ebola virus, people would support it but because it involves gay sex, people are mindlessly opposed to any efficient solutions.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #84
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Quarantine today is politically unfeasible due to Gay Advocates. It would not be pleasant, but medically it would be the most efficient. You would still have to be humane.

If we had something not sexually transmitted, say perhaps a modified Ebola virus, people would support it but because it involves gay sex, people are mindlessly opposed to any efficient solutions.
Assume that no gay advocacy groups exist. Explain to me the logistics of an AIDS quarantine.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #85
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Assume that no gay advocacy groups exist. Explain to me the logistics of an AIDS quarantine.
Today, the logistics would be mind boggling due to the staggering numbers.

You would have to build a city or cities where those affected could live, and cordon off its walls so that it could be meaningful. How could one do that? It would look like the outside of a concentration camp. It would be horrible politically.

Families would be ripped apart.

You'd have to start with adequate reporting and people and physicians would lie. It is now no longer feasible under any conditions. I can envisage how it could be done and it would be cheaper than our current efforts, but we are cowards and morons.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #86
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Today, the logistics would be mind boggling due to the staggering numbers.

You would have to build a city or cities where those affected could live, and cordon off its walls so that it could be meaningful. How could one do that? It would look like the outside of a concentration camp. It would be horrible politically.

Families would be ripped apart.

You'd have to start with adequate reporting and people and physicians would lie. It is now no longer feasible under any conditions. I can envisage how it could be done and it would be cheaper than our current efforts, but we are cowards and morons.
OK. I'd argue that by the time that we even knew how AIDS was transmitted, the numbers were already way too high (and we had no way of detecting infected individuals without full blown AIDS). Couple that with the fact that people constantly travel to and from America (and the fact that HIV is undetectable by conventional testing during the earliest highly contagious phase) and you end up with an impossible quarantine.

I guess Kim Jung Il is one of the few non-cowards on earth, since he has supposedly "eradicated" HIV?

I'd argue that one of the most courageous accomplishments of our nation is the advocacy, which led to fantastic treatments for HIV without excluding AIDS patients from society.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 10-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #87
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
OK. I'd argue that by the time that we even knew how AIDS was transmitted, the numbers were already way too high (and we had no way of detecting infected individuals without full blown AIDS). Couple that with the fact that people constantly travel to and from America (and the fact that HIV is undetectable by conventional testing during the earliest highly contagious phase) and you end up with an impossible quarantine.

I guess Kim Jung Il is one of the few non-cowards on earth, since he has supposedly "eradicated" HIV?

I'd argue that one of the most courageous accomplishments of our nation is the advocacy, which led to fantastic treatments for HIV without excluding AIDS patients from society.
He didn't eradicate it, there just aren't any homosexuals in North Korea. It is an axis of evil thing.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #88
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
He didn't eradicate it, there just aren't any homosexuals in North Korea. It is an axis of evil thing.
lol
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote