cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Why is it everytime I see this thread's headline, I can only see "male pattern baldness" instead of "male courtship pattern"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #82
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I don't mind that the men have the priesthood and I do not. What bothers me is when the men try to control women under the guise of "protection."

For example, in a past ward the men would gather informally each week to play basketball. When the women wanted to gather each week for aerobics, the priesthood got really nervous about "our safety." Suddenly there were all sorts of obstacles, like there needed to be a priesthood holder there, etc. But when the women wanted to meet to quilt under similar circumstances, there were no issues or concerns.

Also in the same ward, when the women wanted to start a Relief Society book club, the bishop insisted that he approve every book. Books for a church club need approval? Fine. Why not trust the RS president to take care of that? Wouldn't that be her responsibility? Apparently her only power is to execute the decisions made by the priesthood for the women.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #83
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I don't mind that the men have the priesthood and I do not. What bothers me is when the men try to control women under the guise of "protection."

For example, in a past ward the men would gather informally each week to play basketball. When the women wanted to gather each week for aerobics, the priesthood got really nervous about "our safety." Suddenly there were all sorts of obstacles, like there needed to be a priesthood holder there, etc. But when the women wanted to meet to quilt under similar circumstances, there were no issues or concerns.
This is one of my pet peeves as well. Recently our RS had an overnight activity right in the middle of town. Somebody decided that priesthood needed to be there and believe it or not, it didn't come from the bishopric or any other men. It came from some of the sisters in the ward who felt that this was necessary.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #84
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Also in the same ward, when the women wanted to start a Relief Society book club, the bishop insisted that he approve every book. Books for a church club need approval? Fine. Why not trust the RS president to take care of that? Wouldn't that be her responsibility? Apparently her only power is to execute the decisions made by the priesthood for the women.
While I agree with each of your points, I think LDS men often confuse the word "protection" with control. Book clubs are a great example. The bishop of my ward also wanted to approve the books for our book club that meets in a private home and is not publicized as a ward function. We learned our lesson. We just don't ask for permission and don't tell the bishop about our non-church activities. After all, Plato's Republic must be on the Church's "books to be burned" list.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #85
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe they are perv's.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #86
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
While I agree with each of your points, I think LDS men often confuse the word "protection" with control. Book clubs are a great example. The bishop of my ward also wanted to approve the books for our book club that meets in a private home and is not publicized as a ward function. We learned our lesson. We just don't ask for permission and don't tell the bishop about our non-church activities. After all, Plato's Republic must be on the Church's "books to be burned" list.
I can't believe you had to "learn a lesson" about this. Why on earth anybody would take anything that wasn't officially church-related to their Bishop is beyond me??

I don't ask or even tell my Bishop if me and the guys in my neighborhood (who all happen to be in the same ward) hold a poker night or have a Thanksgiving football game or all go on a road trip to a BYU game. My interaction with my bishop extends to answering the TR questions every two years and saying "yes" to the question about paying a full tithe at the end of each year. Other than that, it's none of his business. Do women not interact with their Bishop on this same basis?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #87
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
When my ex-wife was called to be the Young Women's President, one of the first meetings she attended was one where they discussed the budgets for the Young Men and the Young Women. During the meeting, she innocently asked why the budget for the Young Men was more than double that of the Young Women, and was told that it was because the activities that the Young Men attended cost more than those of the Young Women. The men in the room seemed genuinely surprised when she wasn't satisfied with that explanation.
that's strange its usually the other way around... at least that's how it was when I was in YM
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #88
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
His wife eventually had an affair and left him for some raisin-hording, bunker-building, militia type.
Well that narrows it down ... to half the Idaho male population.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #89
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I can't believe you had to "learn a lesson" about this. Why on earth anybody would take anything that wasn't officially church-related to their Bishop is beyond me??

I don't ask or even tell my Bishop if me and the guys in my neighborhood (who all happen to be in the same ward) hold a poker night or have a Thanksgiving football game or all go on a road trip to a BYU game. My interaction with my bishop extends to answering the TR questions every two years and saying "yes" to the question about paying a full tithe at the end of each year. Other than that, it's none of his business. Do women not interact with their Bishop on this same basis?
Wasn't there a fad where women would have sex toys parties?

If a bishop behaved in this fashion, I would organize the raunchiest clothing and toy party ever and make certain the bishop attended.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #90
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Wasn't there a fad where women would have sex toys parties?

If a bishop behaved in this fashion, I would organize the raunchiest clothing and toy party ever and make certain the bishop attended.
I was present at a lingerie party my sister-in-law threw. I was only 16 at the time. All I remember is this thong for men. The front had an elephant's trunk and ears. What self-respecting man would wear something so ridiculous? And what kind of woman would find it sexy?
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote