cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #81
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters' point by point rebuttal is not only devastating on the merits, it's quite entertaining. I recommend it to everyone. Waters, can't we get this wider circulation?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #82
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Waters' point by point rebuttal is not only devastating on the merits, it's quite entertaining. I recommend it to everyone. Waters, can't we get this wider circulation?
I don't need anymore of a target on my back. If church leaders find out, they will find a way to keep me in scouting the rest of my life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #83
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't need anymore of a target on my back. If church leaders find out, they will find a way to keep me in scouting the rest of my life.
Done and done.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

But seriously, I think the more intelligent apologists are having a big problem with the church's arguments, because the church is not giving them anything to work with.

The best that they can come up with is the need to trust leaders and be obedient and how important sustaining is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #85
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i agree - nice job, mike, of putting that together.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #86
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But seriously, I think the more intelligent apologists are having a big problem with the church's arguments, because the church is not giving them anything to work with.

The best that they can come up with is the need to trust leaders and be obedient and how important sustaining is.
That's because there is nothing to work with. They should be honest with themselves. If I ran things in the LDS Church, this press release would have been very short. It would have said:

"We believe homosexuality is a sin and marriage is a sacred ordinance willed by God to be by man and woman. If you believe otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks be to God we live in a free country."

That would be it. That they go on page after page with sophistry, trying to appear thoughtful, is pathetic. It shows so much weakness and uncertainty.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #87
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's because there is nothing to work with. They should be honest with themselves. If I ran things in the LDS Church, this press release would have been very short. It would have said:

"We believe homosexuality is a sin and marriage is a sacred ordinance willed by God to be by man and woman. If you believe otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks be to God we live in a free country."

That would be it. That they go on page after page with sophistry, trying to appear thoughtful, is pathetic. It shows so much weakness and uncertainty.
I like your press release much better than the Church's, which reads like they had a summer associate at some law firm write it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #88
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I suppose, but the Saints appealed to the First Amendment while those espousing gay marriage appeal to gains made under the Civil Rights Movement and beyond. I suspect the arguments in support of each position are vastly different.
equal protection is being claimed by both - whether it is couched in terms of religion or not. the saints were claiming unequal protection under the law the same as homosexuals are. LDS polygamists claimed unequal protection of their 1st Amendment Rights; gay and lesbians are claiming unequal protection of their implied right to privacy under the constitution (U.S. or California depending on the venue)... At any rate, both groups claim constitutional rights and unequal protection. In my mind, the differences are not vast.

As for the civil rights movement, same thing - not vastly different.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #89
OrangeUte

Quote:

Brother SU, i must say that i am agreeing with you quite a bit today. This simple approach would have been more honest and would have cut through a bunch of the sophistry (nice word choice, you could have used a b. and a s.) that ended up in the release.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #90
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
equal protection is being claimed by both - whether it is couched in terms of religion or not. the saints were claiming unequal protection under the law the same as homosexuals are. LDS polygamists claimed unequal protection of their 1st Amendment Rights; gay and lesbians are claiming unequal protection of their implied right to privacy under the constitution (U.S. or California depending on the venue)... At any rate, both groups claim constitutional rights and unequal protection. In my mind, the differences are not vast.

As for the civil rights movement, same thing - not vastly different.
Incoming Tex post on how you can't draw comparisons between black civil rights battles and a homosexual's right to marry. Just thought I would give fair warning....but I am sure you can see it coming too.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote