cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #81
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Wow, I'm not surprised non-sequiter or Colly Woll didn't bother to admit they'd mischaracterized my post, but the fact that AA hasn't come around to admit his judgment was premature is kinda sad.
I like to think of that as "letting things go".
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #82
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Wow, I'm not surprised non-sequiter or Colly Woll didn't bother to admit they'd mischaracterized my post, but the fact that AA hasn't come around to admit his judgment was premature is kinda sad.
First of all, I had forgotten all about it.

Second, I don't see any reason to believe my judgment was premature.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #83
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can't be bothered to explain further?

I see.

Go back to writing essays about ancient Greece.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #84
All-American

Quote:
Can't be bothered to explain further?

I see.

Go back to writing essays about ancient Greece.
I guess I sure got put in my place just now.

You want a fuller explanation, here it is: I think the general sentiments of Non Sequitur's little diatribe were right on the money. You paint with a big brush; you constantly depict both posters and posts here as borderline, if not openly, apostate. I've seen very little capability on your part to recognize that different people can look at the same material and come to different conclusions without it being an implication of fault or defect on the part of the one or the other.

This, by the way, is coming from one who has actually stuck up for you a time or two in the "cool guy's club," as you call it. I do believe enmity is a two-sided issue and that the posters who are constantly feuding with you ought to lighten up. But like I said, it's a two sided issue. Just because you are often victimized doesn't mean that sometimes the criticism isn't Johnny-on-the-spot.

I think you'd find that if you made an effort to stop picking fights around here, you'd have a much more favorable reception. You'd also probably find that little by little, others here would recognize your efforts to peaceably contribute and respond in kind.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #85
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I guess I sure got put in my place just now.

You want a fuller explanation, here it is: I think the general sentiments of Non Sequitur's little diatribe were right on the money. You paint with a big brush; you constantly depict both posters and posts here as borderline, if not openly, apostate. I've seen very little capability on your part to recognize that different people can look at the same material and come to different conclusions without it being an implication of fault or defect on the part of the one or the other.
So... nice big brush you're painting with there. I make a single post that says nothing about worthiness issues or defects in ex-Mormons (and never have made any comments about the worthiness of ex-Mormons), and you go off on a diatribe criticizing my entire body of work here on CG.

A bit hypocritical, no?

Quote:
This, by the way, is coming from one who has actually stuck up for you a time or two in the "cool guy's club," as you call it.
Well damn, I feel bad now. You've stuck up for me a time or two, huh?

Remind me to send you a fruitcake.

Quote:
I think you'd find that if you made an effort to stop picking fights around here, you'd have a much more favorable reception. You'd also probably find that little by little, others here would recognize your efforts to peaceably contribute and respond in kind.
That's bull. I spent a good two months being non-confrontational and much more pleasant here and I was still treated with contempt and a steady stream of "Lingo is a fag" posts. I'm treated badly here because I'm a jerk and because of my beliefs. It's not as simple as you think it is.

But whatever. You can think what you want.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #86
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #87
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
. . .you go off on a diatribe criticizing my entire body of work here on CG.

DO you really think of the stuff we do here as a "body of work?"
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #88
All-American

Quote:
So... nice big brush you're painting with there. I make a single post that says nothing about worthiness issues or defects in ex-Mormons (and never have made any comments about the worthiness of ex-Mormons), and you go off on a diatribe criticizing my entire body of work here on CG.

A bit hypocritical, no?
You act like you didn't ask me to "go off on a diatribe." TWICE. You wanted me to explain how I felt; I did so. You don't need me to compile a survey of your entire body of work to prove, as you have admitted in this post, that you've been a jerk.

Quote:
Well damn, I feel bad now. You've stuck up for me a time or two, huh?

Remind me to send you a fruitcake.
Any purpose to this bit, except to pick a fight?

Quote:
That's bull. I spent a good two months being non-confrontational and much more pleasant here and I was still treated with contempt and a steady stream of "Lingo is a fag" posts. I'm treated badly here because I'm a jerk and because of my beliefs. It's not as simple as you think it is.

But whatever. You can think what you want.
Simply not so. There's more than one poster here who, thought they were once openly antagonistic, made a persistent effort to change the way they interacted here, which efforts have been acknowledged, accepted, and appreciated. Few here, if any, take issue with you because of your beliefs. Many, if not most, take issue with you because of the way you express those beliefs and respond to the beliefs of others. There is room here for those who respectfully disagree. Heck, there's even room for those who don't.