cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #81
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Even I understand you gots to keep your gun and keep it real homie!

I don't think DDD wants to take away your gun. I am not even convinced that Obama will actually try and take away your gun even if he wants to.

The 2nd amendment is pretty safe my friend despite the scare tactics the Right employs in order to motivate a significant voter base. It is just politics my friend the 2nd amendment isn't going anywhere.

Gun control does not move the meter for me, but I know there is a large number of fellow republicans, libertarians and independants that are highly motivated by perceived threats to the 2nd amendment so in every election they get their strings pulled by the politicians.
To me, registering all guns is a hair away from banning guns. Registering guns is a complete non-starter and the act of a dictatorial paranoid govt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #82
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
there is a high statistical probability that you will die. So life insurance is not a reasonable comparison.

there is not a comparable statistical terrorist threat.

Everyone is going to die. Terrorist threats are rare.
It is statistically unlikely that I will die in the next 20 years. Maybe it is more likely than terrorist threating again. But you don't just spin a roulette wheel to see whether they will attack or whether I will die. These are both outcomes that we have the ability to influence. I guess I'm just caught a bit flat footed at your belief that the threat didn't and doesn't really exist. I've not encountered that belief before now.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #83
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To me, registering all guns is a hair away from banning guns. Registering guns is a complete non-starter and the act of a dictatorial paranoid govt.
I take it you got your gun from a guy named Mac and the serial number was already filed off?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I take it you got your gun from a guy named Mac and the serial number was already filed off?
No. I do know someone though that always buys their guns through a private party, so that they are never on any govt. records.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #85
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Gun registration has not helped homicide departments and DAs solve crimes?

Dang Law and Order gets it wrong every week.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #86
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Gun registration has not helped homicide departments and DAs solve crimes?

Dang Law and Order gets it wrong every week.
there is a big difference between having guns sold new and the person's inforation being taken, versus every citizen being required to account for every gun they own, no matter how they came to own it.

If I sell you a gun, there is not govt. body that you have to report to.

That's why the liberals are going after private sales at gun shows. After they get that, they will go after private party transactions. I.e. you giving your heirloom rifle to your son.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #87
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just curious here ... how many of you are willing to give credit to Bush for this? You may think he bungled the war(s). You may even think he's actually made us "less safe" by giving terrorists recruiting material. (I think that's stupid, but that's a debate for another time.)

But it's undeniable that no terrorism has taken place on our soil since that day. Who would've guessed that? I'd wager near nobody thought we'd go this long. Presidents typically get a lot of blame and a lot of credit for things that they don't deserve. Part of the job.

Does Bush get credit for this?
How many times were we attacked on American soil by foreign terrorists during Clinton's time in office? Was he a great leader too?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #88
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How many times were we attacked on American soil by foreign terrorists during Clinton's time in office? Was he a great leader too?
You're a day late and a dollar short. DDD has been channeling you perfectly in this thread. Just let him be your proxy here and take a break.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #89
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You're a day late and a dollar short. DDD has been channeling you perfectly in this thread. Just let him be your proxy here and take a break.
This is actually somewhat true. Very Cali-esc. No offense Cali.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #90
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
We were attacked on American soil only one time when Clinton was in office. Many in intelligence believed that Bin Laden was the guy behind that attack. Sudan claims that they had Bin Laden and offered him to Clinton, though there really is no way to know that is true or not as there are several conflicting reports.

I tend to think Clinton wasn't offered Bin Laden, as if he had been, only a complete political dumb ass would not have taken advantage of that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote