cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slowest average speed ever?

Q and Mike need not apply, but the rest of you probably can participate.

I have several record slow speeds.

Slowest fifty miler, with my son for Cycling merit badge, he was eleven, Five Hours.

Several slow speeds. First time from Parowan to Brianhead Giant Steps, 2 hours for a thirteen miler.

Today, did a little 85 miler, with lots of climbing, no I'm not good at it, that's why I practice it.

9 Miles down hill, 15 minutes. Unfortunately what goes down must come up. Same nine miles in reverse, 1 hour 10 minutes. Of course some grades up to 18 percent, but I doubt anybody can top that for slowest average speed.

Q and Mike, you guys are too fast. I did hit 42 on the downhill descent, does that count?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Local hill, about 500' rise in 1.25 miles. Triple. Me, out fo shape, wife and 8 year old, who is singing and not really paying attention. AVG speed on hill = 5 mph. Really. Don't laugh, it is harder than it sounds to go that slow.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't compete. we dont' have mountains down here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Local hill, about 500' rise in 1.25 miles. Triple. Me, out fo shape, wife and 8 year old, who is singing and not really paying attention. AVG speed on hill = 5 mph. Really. Don't laugh, it is harder than it sounds to go that slow.
tandem riders and triples don't count; those things have anchors on them. Yes I've seen the singing children. WE have a bike attachment for eight year old, who sings, sometimes pedals and it is interesting to see how slow you go.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I have bad days too. lot's.
A couple moths ago, i was out for one of the first rides of the season. i spend my winters running. So I didn't have my bike legs yet.
The wind was out of the south so on the route I took, I made great time. Climbed a monster of a hill in no time. On the way back, the wind picked up. On long descents where i can usually manage 30 without thinking about it, i had to pedal and fight for 10-12 mph. It took 90 minutes to do what I usually can in 35 to 45. Bad day. I got home freezing cold, totally beat and curseing the long Utah winters away from the bike.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

My first century a few years ago, found us doing the only major climb of the ride at about mile 84. After the rest stop at the top of the hill, try as I might, I had absolutely nothing left in me to hold the pace line, which was plowing along at a whopping 13 miles per hour. Granted there was a bit of a headwind, but still...

Thats right, even with a 3 person pace line, I couldn't hold 13 miles per hour for the last 16 or so miles. Only the thought of that nice big spaghetti dinner at the end kept me from curling up along the road for a nice, long snooze in the sun.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Archaea

After a bonk, any speed is too fast.